Default $19.02 for a toggle switch!

Greetings,

I just paid $19.02 for an over/under 20A toggle switch. Where, if
anywhere, can I go to find such items at a significant discount?

Thanks,
William

SQLit

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I just paid $19.02 for an over/under 20A toggle switch. Where, if
anywhere, can I go to find such items at a significant discount?

Thanks,
William

over/under toggle switch? Do you mean a stacked switch? two switches on
that fit into a single device location? Specialty devices have always been
expensive.
try google.

PipeDown

Radio Shack -

There are literally thousands of toggle switches. There probably is a
cheaper one but with a lack of specs I couldn't even guess what you want.
Ty www.digikey.com and www.mouser.com both electronics components
distributors have decent websited for searching.

Over/Under is not a technical term used to describe any switch I have ever
seen. Do you mean dual switch handles or DPDT contacts

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I just paid $19.02 for an over/under 20A toggle switch. Where, if
anywhere, can I go to find such items at a significant discount?

Thanks,
William

Greetings,

Yes, I mean a stacked switch.

http://www.universityofsavanna.com/f...me.repair/0508
17%20%20Over%20Under%2020A%20Toggle%20Switch/overUnder20AmpT
oggle.jpg

or

http://tinyurl.com/7qznw

The writing on the top of the box is hard to read:
"
COMBINATION DEVICE
TWO SINGLE POLE
SWITCHES
SIDE WIRED
20A-120/277V AC
"

Froogle.com-ing for the part number and Leviton yields one result
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...g le&ovtac=PI
for 18.40+tax+s&h

I am just tired of spending $100's on this type of item $20 at a time
when I know they can't cost much more than $1 to produce. I would even
rather purchase 100 of them at $3 each and use them elsewhere than buy
two at $20.

William

http://www.dale-electric.com/d etail.cfm?ItemNumber=5334

Greetings,

The site currently appears to be having trouble but I will check them
out again later (hopefully) once they are working.

William

Error Message:
===========================

Error Occurred While Processing Request
The request has exceeded the allowable time limit Tag: cfoutput

The error occurred in /var/www/html/header.cfm: line 8

6 :
7 : td width="15" bgcolor="#666699"img src="spacer.gif" width="15"
height="1" alt="" border="0"/td
8 : td align="right" valign="top" width="125" bgcolor="#666699"font
class="headertext"cfoutput#DateFormat(now(), "mmm. dd,
yyyy")#/cfoutput/fontimg src="slash_bck.gif" width="15"
height="20" border="0" alt=""/td
9 : /tr/table
10 : table width="750" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"

Please try the following:

* Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using
the correct syntax.
* Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10)
Gecko/20050720 Fedora/1.0.6-1.1.fc3 Firefox/1.0.6
Remote Address 70.110.138.111
Referrer http://www.dale-electric.com/catresults.cfm
Date/Time 22-Aug-05 12:10 AM
Stack Trace
at cfheader2ecfm409204624.runPage(/var/www/html/header.cfm:8) at
cfcatresults2ecfm1806654655.runPage(/var/www/html/catresults.cfm:223)

coldfusion.runtime.RequestTimedOutException: The request has exceeded
the allowable time limit Tag: cfoutput
at coldfusion.tagext.io.OutputTag.doStartTag(OutputTa g.java:148)
at cfheader2ecfm409204624.runPage(/var/www/html/header.cfm:8)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java :152)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(Inclu deTag.java:343)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTag(CfJspPage.j ava:1908)
at
cfcatresults2ecfm1806654655.runPage(/var/www/html/catresults.cfm:223)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java :152)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(Inclu deTag.java:343)
at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(Cfinclude Filter.java:65)
at
coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(Applica tionFilter.java:210)
at
coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(Requ estMonitorFilter.java:51)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.jav a:86)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(Exception Filter.java:50)
at
coldfusion.filter.BrowserDebugFilter.invoke(Browse rDebugFilter.java:52)
at
coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.inv oke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilt er.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilt er.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(Datasour ceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:105)
at
coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(Boot strapServlet.java:78)
at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker. java:91)
at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvok erChain.java:42)
at
jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequ estDispatcher.java:257)
at
jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(Servlet EngineService.java:527)
at
jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable( JRunProxyService.java:204)
at
jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invok eRunnable(ThreadPool.java:349)
at
jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRu nnable(ThreadPool.java:457)
at
jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeR unnable(ThreadPool.java:295)
at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java :66)

Rob Mills

" wrote in message

The site currently appears to be having trouble but I will check them

out again later (hopefully) once they are working.

Knock off everything past .com and it works. RM~

www.dale-electric.com/

Michael Daly

On 20-Aug-2005, "Harry K" wrote:

For the life of me I don't see why they should be so high
when a regular one is in the $1.00 to $2.00 range.

They sell a gazzillion 15A switches - how many 20A do you
think people need? Supply and demand.

Mike
Amun

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I just paid $19.02 for an over/under 20A toggle switch. Where, if
anywhere, can I go to find such items at a significant discount?

Thanks,
William

You do point out that this is rated for 20A
Do you really NEED 20A rating ?

Most "home" devices are only 15A rated, so this must be a heavy
duty/industrial/vapor proof/hospital grade switch, and is nothing like the
crap in most houses as far as quality

As such it's not that outrageous to pay that much.

Even a crappy builder grade 15A stacked switch will be $5.00 or more

post the actual manufacturer's name and the part number so we can tell if
you got a deal or not.

Amun wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I just paid $19.02 for an over/under 20A toggle switch. Where, if
anywhere, can I go to find such items at a significant discount?

Thanks,
William

You do point out that this is rated for 20A
Do you really NEED 20A rating ?

Yes, I need a 20A rating. The switch is for a duplex receptacle.

Most "home" devices are only 15A rated, so this must be a heavy
duty/industrial/vapor proof/hospital grade switch, and is nothing like the
crap in most houses as far as quality

I am happy to purchase a builder/residential grade 20A switch.

As such it's not that outrageous to pay that much.

The cost of manufacturing is probably very low in comparison to the
final price. Either I am being price gouged or there is a tremendous
amount of inefficiency somewhere along the way.

Even a crappy builder grade 15A stacked switch will be $5.00 or more

post the actual manufacturer's name and the part number so we can tell if
you got a deal or not.

I did. The link to that information is:

http://tinyurl.com/7qznw

The fuzzy text is typed in elsewhere in my second post.

Hope this helps,
William

Greetings,

I spoke to the tech guy at www.dale-electric.com/ and apparently they
are in some sort of effort to redo certain portions of the site. (It
is up now). THANKS A LOT for letting me know about them. Their prices
are very good and I will surely order from them many times -- unless
someone can point me to a site cheaper.

Thanks,
William

The cost of manufacturing is probably very low in comparison to the
final price. Either I am being price gouged or there is a tremendous
amount of inefficiency somewhere along the way.

There is inefficiency along the way. It's basic economics. As another
poster seemed to indicate, the less units produced the higher their
cost. Not only for the mfgr but further on in the supply chain until
it gets to you. Sure there is a markup on everything, and in this case
the one 20A switch that sat for six months displaced the 20 other 15A
switches that would have moved if the space were available. And the
market will obviously bear what you paid.

Tom S

wrote in message oups.com...
And the market will obviously bear what you paid.

That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits.

Duane Bozarth

Tom S wrote:

wrote in message oups.com...
And the market will obviously bear what you paid.

That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits.

If you will provide a 20% increase in US refining capacity tomorrow
you'll see the markets drop overnight as well.

Oh, you say they won't let you build there? Welcome to the problem...
Amun

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Amun wrote:
" wrote in message
[...]

According to the link that switch is that much.
And note in the description "commercial grade"

you simply pay more for those, mainly because they are heavier duty and not
that popular.
And the fact is those stacked switches are not that popular even in 15A.
.....you get a better quality switch, but if price is an issue do you really
need it

while you still say you need 20A you also say it's for a duplex outlet.

But what kinds of loads do you plug in there ?

What gauge wire is hooked up to the switch /outlet #14 or #12 ?

what rating is the panel breaker on that circuit. ?

Not that it matters but you would really panic if you priced out some of the
"hospital grade - vapor sealed- stuff"

Duane Bozarth wrote:
That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits.

If you will provide a 20% increase in US refining capacity tomorrow
you'll see the markets drop overnight as well.

Lack of refining capacity might make the price of gasoline go up,
but it would make the price of crude oil go down (lower the demand
for crude oil, and the oil-producers won't be able to demand such
high prices anymore). Since the price of oil has been going up as
well, the only logical conclusion is that not enough crude oil is
being produced.
Amun

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Duane Bozarth wrote:
That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits.

If you will provide a 20% increase in US refining capacity tomorrow
you'll see the markets drop overnight as well.

Lack of refining capacity might make the price of gasoline go up,
but it would make the price of crude oil go down (lower the demand
for crude oil, and the oil-producers won't be able to demand such
high prices anymore). Since the price of oil has been going up as
well, the only logical conclusion is that not enough crude oil is
being produced.

Actually, that's the problem as the Saudi Oil Minister pointed
out...producing more oil won't help the US because we couldn't process
it any faster even if they did...

Sad fact is that the price of oil is decided by a few people in some offices
and has very little to do with supply and demand.

My best guess is they throw a dart and where it lands is the price of oil
this week. LOL

The Bush family IS in oil, and with no chance to be re-elected after a
second term anyway, guess who's going to make sure he has a nice "retirement
package" set up after the next election.
So don't hold your breath that the "powers that be" will do anything other
than provide lip service.

At best,....as winter approaches they "may" subsidize heating oil and
natural gas, to keep people from rioting in the streets to stay warm.

AMUN

AZ Nomad

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:18:31 GMT, Tom S wrote:

wrote in message oups.com...
And the market will obviously bear what you paid.

That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits.

riiiight. $70/barrel == $35/barrel Must be that new math.
Tom S

wrote in message oups.com...
And the market will obviously bear what you paid.

That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits.

riiiight. $70/barrel == $35/barrel Must be that new math.

Only inside your pea brain. No one claimed $70 = $35.

Turn off your damned computer and pick up a WSJ.

Duane Bozarth

Amun wrote:
Sad fact is that the price of oil is decided by a few people in some offices
and has very little to do with supply and demand.

The actual facts are that oil prices are set on the open markets and
currently are mostly controlled by two factors--increased demand
markedly influenced by rapid growth/exapnsion in China and India and the
rest of SE Asia and speculation based on current events and
inflexibility in both the producing a supply side. The latter effect is
readily observable simply by paying attention to the high correlation in
prices to world events and even things as small as threat of loss of
production owing to such events as hurricanes in the Gulf. While in
theory the loss of gasoline refinery capacity for a short time shouldn't
matter (in fact, should reduce demand for crude), it can be noted that
in the present speculative mode crude also tends to rise rather than
fall.

The price of crude oil is set by movements on the three major
international petroleum exchanges--

- New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX, http://www.nymex.com)
- International Petroleum Exchange in London (IPE,
http://www.ipe.uk.com)
- Singapore International Monetary Exchange (SIMEX,
http://www.simex.com.sg).

My best guess is they throw a dart and where it lands is the price of oil
this week. LOL

The Bush family IS in oil, and with no chance to be re-elected after a
second term anyway, guess who's going to make sure he has a nice "retirement
package" set up after the next election.

The significance of the Bush family in the global oil markets is
absolutely inconsequential. They're nickel and dime players even in the
US. (Not that I wouldn't like a few of the nickels and dimes, but
reality is they just are not a sizable factor in the overall oil
business).

So don't hold your breath that the "powers that be" will do anything other
than provide lip service.

The problem is that your omnipotent "powers that be" simply aren't...the
primary problem in the US continues to be the stranglehold on expansion
of domestic production (including exploration but primarily refining
capacity) owing mostly to environmental regulation and the "not in my
backyard" siting problems.

At best,....as winter approaches they "may" subsidize heating oil and
natural gas, to keep people from rioting in the streets to stay warm.

There's another problem of unintended consequences--the tightness of
supplies of natural gas is largely owing to the high conversion to gas
for producing electricity in order to reduce coal usage. This was one
of Al Gore's brilliant ideas (actually I doubt if it was Al's idea, I
don't think he's ever had one, but it was a strategy he was a major
proponent for)...
Stretch

18. Tom S Aug 26, 3:18 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: "Tom S" - Find messages by this author
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:18:31 GMT
Subject: $19.02 for a toggle switch!
original | Report Abuse

"That's the same logic that's having us pay $3 for a gallon of gas,
while oil companies rack up unprecedented and obscenely huge
profits."

If people stopped buying huge SUVs getting 12 MPG (like the one my
brother bought), the cost of gas would go down. You don't like the
price of gas? Get a fuel efficient car and it won't matter as much!
We as a country squander resources at enormous rates, then gripe about
the cost. We have huge houses, huge vehicles, and live in a throw away
society.

My company service truck only gets 12 MPG, but I need a large vehicle
to carry all the stuff I need to take care of my customers. My family
car gets better fuel economy, and when the kids move out, we will get a
still smaller car! You just want someone else to pay for your wasteful
habbits.

Stretch

Douglas Johnson

"Amun" wrote:

Sad fact is that the price of oil is decided by a few people in some offices
and has very little to do with supply and demand.

Can you name them?. Why do they set prices instead of the New York Mercantile
Exchange and other commodity exchanges? Thanks.

-- Doug