Alex

Default Can you believe toggle switch rating?

I just got a 1/2" hole mounted toggle switch for my 20Amp 115/220V 1.5
HP motor
(switch specs: 20 Amp 115/220V Max 1.5HP)

but when this switch compared to a regular light switch with similar
specs: 20Amp 115/220V it looks too small and flimsy for it's 20Amp 155V
rating. You can hardly conect 12 gauge wire to it's terminals because
screws are really small.

My question: is switch ratig is a some kind of "peak rating" and you
should always get higher rating switch?

Thanks,
Alex

Tim Shoppa

My question: is switch ratig is a some
kind of "peak rating" and you should always get
higher rating switch?

Absolutely. The NEC says that the motor full-load current must not
exceed 80% of the ampere rating of the switch.

Different switches have different contact materials - you want a AC
Motor switch, not a general use AC-DC snap switch.

Tim.

Grant Erwin

Alex wrote:

I just got a 1/2" hole mounted toggle switch for my 20Amp 115/220V 1.5
HP motor
(switch specs: 20 Amp 115/220V Max 1.5HP)

but when this switch compared to a regular light switch with similar
specs: 20Amp 115/220V it looks too small and flimsy for it's 20Amp 155V
rating. You can hardly conect 12 gauge wire to it's terminals because
screws are really small.

My question: is switch ratig is a some kind of "peak rating" and you
should always get higher rating switch?

A reputable switch UL rated at 1.5 hp should reliably start and stop one. I'm
not sure you got a reputable one, however.

GWE

Alex, more important that the cited rating is 'who made the switch' and
is it UL approved.

I think you may have been scammed with a junk, offshore import!

Fact is, a legitimate 20A switch should definitely accept 12 or even 10
gauge wire.

Harry C.