DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   toggle nut/speed nut (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/211290-toggle-nut-speed-nut.html)

Randy Zimmerman August 18th 07 01:51 PM

toggle nut/speed nut

I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it slides
off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)
Randy

BJ[_2_] August 18th 07 02:36 PM

toggle nut/speed nut

Check this out.

http://www.sliponlocknut.com/

Bruce

Ned Simmons August 18th 07 03:24 PM

toggle nut/speed nut

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:51:46 GMT, "Randy Zimmerman"
wrote:

I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it slides
off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)

Carr-Lane makes knobs like that up to 1/2-13.

Northwestern has 5/8-11 inserts.
http://www.northwesterntools.com/insrt_qck.html

I thought I've seen hex nuts as well, but can't find them now. Both
Carr-Lane and Northwestern call the feature "quick-acting".

--
Ned Simmons

[email protected] August 18th 07 03:54 PM

toggle nut/speed nut

On Aug 18, 1:51 pm, "Randy Zimmerman" wrote:
I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it slides
off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)
Randy

It looks as if one could make a fixture to hold coupling nuts at the
right angle and run a 5/8 end mill thru them. Maybe just an angle
vise with a stop to locate the nut under the spindle. and then run
the right Ohio Brush thru to remove the burrs.

Dan

Gerald Miller August 19th 07 02:55 AM

toggle nut/speed nut

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:36:03 -0400, "BJ" wrote:

Check this out.

http://www.sliponlocknut.com/

Bruce

See Lee valley - Extra Speed Nuts, set of 4
05F01.03

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...62&cat=1,43293
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada