Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ingersoll Rand T-10 compressor - any good?

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:33:57 -0600, Mike Henry wrote:
Is the IR T-10 compressor pretty decent for light use in a home shop and is
it still in production? It would see mostly general shop use - providing
air for a T&C air bearing, topping off tires, and that sort of thing.

I've finding different model numbers for IR's current offerings and haven't
turned up much on the T-10 in web searches, other than auction listings.

It should be indeed decent for light to moderate use. If it looks like
this:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/i...mb04/dis04.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Is the IR T-10 compressor pretty decent for light use in a home shop
and is it still in production? It would see mostly general shop use
- providing air for a T&C air bearing, topping off tires, and that
sort of thing.

I've finding different model numbers for IR's current offerings and
haven't turned up much on the T-10 in web searches, other than
auction listings.

It should be indeed decent for light to moderate use. If it looks like
this:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/i...mb04/dis04.jpg

They use that same pump on a 20 gallon horizontal . The motor was fried
on one that was given to me , that pump is now on the top of my Speedaire 60
gal tank . The 20 has an oil-less pump that had a cracked tank ...
Gives me shop air and a portable , all for less than a hundred bucks and a
bit of labor .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Is the IR T-10 compressor pretty decent for light use in a home shop and
is
it still in production? It would see mostly general shop use - providing
air for a T&C air bearing, topping off tires, and that sort of thing.

I've finding different model numbers for IR's current offerings and
haven't
turned up much on the T-10 in web searches, other than auction listings.

It should be indeed decent for light to moderate use. If it looks like
this:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/i...mb04/dis04.jpg

I'm pretty sure it looks like that one. What's a fair price to pay for one
with reported low use?

I would not pay more than $200, $250 if I feel generous and in a
hurry. Used compressors can be found at decent prices. But if you
overpay and pay, say, $350, the worst thing that happened is you paid
$100 more than you could, not the end of the world.

When you do buy a compressor, make a nice compressed air system, with
an air dryer, manifolds, oilers etc, all neatly mounted, it is very useful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...
wrote:
Is the IR T-10 compressor pretty decent for light use in a home shop and
is
it still in production? It would see mostly general shop use - providing
air for a T&C air bearing, topping off tires, and that sort of thing.

I've finding different model numbers for IR's current offerings and
haven't
turned up much on the T-10 in web searches, other than auction listings.

It should be indeed decent for light to moderate use. If it looks like
this:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/i...mb04/dis04.jpg

I'm pretty sure it looks like that one. What's a fair price to pay for one
with reported low use?

Mike

That depends a lot on how much you'd rather have a compressor than to
keep looking for the best possible bargain.

If it's a 2stage, figure about $850 new. For a singlestage, figure
about $500.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

om...
wrote:
[...]

It's a single-stage, I think, and is supposed to be around 9 years old with
~100 hours use. I'm not looking for the best possible bargain so much as
not wanting to get taken too badly. The seller wants $500 which sounds be a
bit high from comments here unless it has a few accessories.

The seller claims it has a 5 HP motor that draws 15 amps at 220 single-phase
and that sounds more than a little like a Sears HP rating. Maybe he's
mistaken on the HP or maybe I'm mistaken on the single phase. I'll check it
out tomorrow evening if the seller is available then and see what's what.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

no thats NOT a sears HP or its BARELY optimistic 15A is 4.4 HP at 220
(REAL CONTINUOUS HP) 4.8 HP at 240V

it might be optimistic but Barely and nowhere near as fictitious as a
"sears" or a chinese HP

The amperage rating is a true continuous rating rather than HP the
amperage rating has been standardized as what the motor puts out for
its rated duty cycle

IMO i'd rather a Dual Stage but i've seen and used far worse. but when
a motor is stated by volts and amps te horsepower you get by
calculating volts times amps is the "real" and continuous horsepower.
if you look at the "Sears" motors their Volts times amps come nowhere
near close to the Claimed HP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:13:17 -0500, Mike Henry wrote:

It's a single-stage, I think, and is supposed to be around 9 years old with
~100 hours use. I'm not looking for the best possible bargain so much as
not wanting to get taken too badly. The seller wants $500 which sounds be a
bit high from comments here unless it has a few accessories.

Sounds a bit high to me. Check out ebay item 330149208046, which is
comparable and honestly described (it seems). Sold for $112.

You can search eBay completed items for

("5 hp", 5hp) compressor -(7.5*,2.5*,champion,motor,airbrush,honda,gas)

you will see that the prices for comparable models are way below the
$500 that the seller is asking.

The seller claims it has a 5 HP motor that draws 15 amps at 220
single-phase and that sounds more than a little like a Sears HP
rating. Maybe he's mistaken on the HP or maybe I'm mistaken on the
single phase. I'll check it out tomorrow evening if the seller is
available then and see what's what.

At best, 220 volts, 15 amps is 3,300 watt, or 4.37 HP, assuming
unattainable, perfect 100% efficiency. My 5 HP Baldor motor is rated
for 23 amps. It is rated for 82% efficiency and 87% power factor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:30:11 -0700, Brent wrote:
no thats NOT a sears HP or its BARELY optimistic 15A is 4.4 HP at 220
(REAL CONTINUOUS HP) 4.8 HP at 240V

Assuming the motor is 80% efficient (which is good), then its output at
220v, 15A, is 3.5 HP.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 2:33 pm, Ignoramus11957 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11957.invalid wrote:
[...]

But the point here is thats still far better than 5 "sears" hp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

AIR, the seller says that the compressor puts out around 10 cfm at 90 psig.
From what I've seen of IR's current low range offerings that capacity and
the current draw sounds a lot more like 3 HP than 5 HP. Hopefully I'll find
out tomorrow.

I'd still like to get impressions from any current or past IR T-10 owners.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It's a single-stage, I think, and is supposed to be around 9 years old
with
~100 hours use. I'm not looking for the best possible bargain so much as
not wanting to get taken too badly. The seller wants $500 which sounds
be a
bit high from comments here unless it has a few accessories.

Sounds a bit high to me. Check out ebay item 330149208046, which is
comparable and honestly described (it seems). Sold for $112.

You can search eBay completed items for

("5 hp", 5hp)
compressor -(7.5*,2.5*,champion,motor,airbrush,honda,gas)

you will see that the prices for comparable models are way below the
$500 that the seller is asking.

That item did seem to go pretty cheap but whenever I find deals like that
are it seems there is some hidden part broken that ends up costing more than
the original deal itself. It does seem like compressors of this class bring
less than $500 on Ebay and that's good to know.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

.. .

news:Qc6dnaR0XPJrRyrbnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@giganews. com...
wrote:
[...]

What really counts is ACFM at 90 PSI. For $500 you should be able to
get about 11 ACFM.

If the tank is an ASME tank in good condx and the pump is rated for
11+ ACFM at 90 PSI and is in good shape, then the tank and pump are
worth most of $500. A "real" 5 HP 21-amp 220V single-phase
compressor-service motor is about $200, less if you find a bargain.

Ingersoll pumps aren't as good as long-lived as Quincy because they're
splash-lube rather than pressure-lube, but in home shop service they
should last a lifetime. I have an IMC clone of the Ingersoll T29 pump
that has been in service for nearly 20 years and I keep "air up" 24/7
except when we're away for any length of time. I replaced the motor
last year but the pump is still going strong.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I sold a 5 HP 11.5 CFM 80-gallon compressor (don't recall brand) in
very good shape for about $200 a year or so ago in an estate sale. Up
to buyer to load it up and haul it away. (He did, gladly!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:51:17 -0500, Mike Henry wrote:

ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

From what I've seen of IR's current low range offerings that capacity and
the current draw sounds a lot more like 3 HP than 5 HP. Hopefully I'll find
out tomorrow.

Just a data point, my single stage, 5 HP compressor makes about 14
CFM.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:
[...]

Judging from a small picture the tank and compressor look nearly new. The
compressor is described as 11 cfm @ 40 psig and 10 cfm at 90 psig so it
might be worth $400 using your criteria, if I may make that assumption.
That capacity should be fine and I already have a 20-amp, 220 VAC outlet in
the garage for it, which should work assuming the motor really does draw 15
amps as the seller claims. The capacaity is good enough for me and I'm not
hung up on the HP.

Guess I'll see tomorrow night after work.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:59:34 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Judging from a small picture the tank and compressor look nearly new. The
compressor is described as 11 cfm @ 40 psig and 10 cfm at 90 psig so it
might be worth $400 using your criteria, if I may make that assumption.

You may.

That capacity should be fine and I already have a 20-amp, 220 VAC outlet in
the garage for it, which should work assuming the motor really does draw 15
amps as the seller claims. The capacaity is good enough for me and I'm not
hung up on the HP.

There ya go!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike, for $500, you can buy a high end used compressor. I regularly
read craigslist and such compressors do show up from time to
time. Even less money can be paid for 5HP compressors at industrial
liquidations, though you may need to add a VFD to run one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-HP-Coleman-Bla...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/dayton-speedaire...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/dayton-speedaire...QQcmdZViewItem

The last item that sold for $481 is at least two levels above that
T10. The motor on it looks like single phase.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Well, I looked at the compressor tonight and it essentially looks like new,
but the seller doesn't have 220 power in his garage so it couldn't be
powered up to check it out. No accessories at all other than what was
shipped with the compressor, not even a regulator, though he thought there
might be one about somewhere. I couldn't find a HP rating on the motor but
is rated at 15 amp and that's fine with me - the CFM ratings were as he
described (10 cfm at 90 psig).

In looking for info on the T-10 this offering turned up at Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._158284_158284

It's an IR compressor with a different part number but essentially identical
specs at a price of $580 with shipping. Unless The IR T-10 is somehow
better than the new one in the listing above it seems hard to justify buying
the used one at $500, especially since I don't know for sure that the used
one works properly. The seller seemed wlling to dicker a bit but quickly
declined my offer of $300, claiming that he paid nearly $1k for it around 9
years ago.

If anyone thinks that the used one is worth $500 I'd like to hear about it.
Perhaps a call to IR would be in order.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

It isn't. I would not buy a used compressor I couldn't see and hear
running unless I personally knew and trusted the seller, and for $80
difference I'd definitely go with the new IR with a 1-yr warranty. I
would also order the start up kit for $39.95 because you'll need oil
and air filters anyway. I expect the compressor is shipped dry. That
also gets you a 2-yr extended warranty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

i have this northern tool compressor, bought with the kit for the extra
warrantee. it's a workhorse. notice it's a continuous duty compressor. i use
it for sandblasting for hours at a time. check it before it comes off the
truck though, as the first one i got had a smashed up regulator. the 2nd one
was good though.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_15...

[...]

also gets you a 2-yr extended warranty.- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Don on this...the price difference isn't worth the risk.

Explain this to the seller...he may change his pricing to allow for
the risk you are taking.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:26:53 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Thanks - that's what I figured but it had the benefit of new condition and
close proximity to make moving easier. Not seeing it run was a real deal
killer, now that the excitement of the find is past. Delivery of new stuff
by truck is always a problem here unless I want to waste a day off work
waiting for the trucker to show up and probably another when they have to
come back with the lift gate that was requested. That makes local pickup
attractive, but not for used tools of unknown condition at retail prices.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8011" wrote in message
Mike, for $500, you can buy a high end used compressor. I regularly
read craigslist and such compressors do show up from time to
time. Even less money can be paid for 5HP compressors at industrial
liquidations, though you may need to add a VFD to run one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-HP-Coleman-Bla...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/dayton-speedaire...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/dayton-speedaire...QQcmdZViewItem

The last item that sold for $481 is at least two levels above that
T10. The motor on it looks like single phase.

Iggy - I've been watching CL for a few months now and that's where this one
showed up. Most of the ones I've seen there are horizontal, beat to heck or
of unknown quality. I also check Ebay frequently in a 100-mile radius with
pretty much the same results. CL has the advantage that it is usually
easier to arrange an inspection in person but has the disadvantage that the
good deals go quick.

That Speedaire at $52.50 looked like a bargain, but it's around 4 hours from
me making it a bit of a pig in a poke since a pre-bid inspection is hard to
do.

Keep me in mind if you pick up a nice vertical compressor in your scrounging
that you want to unload.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:44:14 -0600, Mike Henry wrote:

Keep me in mind if you pick up a nice vertical compressor in your scrounging
that you want to unload.

OK. I also have a nice compressed air dryer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Forgot to add Mike, but I would also suggest looking for a "real 5 HP"
compressor. It would improve your productivity working on certain
tasks such as sanders or air hammers, on real projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:20:21 -0500, Ignoramus22443
wrote:

Forgot to add Mike, but I would also suggest looking for a "real 5 HP"
compressor. It would improve your productivity working on certain
tasks such as sanders or air hammers, on real projects.

The 3HP IR he's looking at produces more air (11.3 acfm @ 90PSIG) than
some "real 5HP" units do. Exceptions would be 2-stage units. Buying
a used compressor (except perhaps a Quincy) is a bit of a crapshoot
unless there is some way to know its history.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forgot to add Mike, but I would also suggest looking for a "real 5 HP"
compressor. It would improve your productivity working on certain
tasks such as sanders or air hammers, on real projects.

The 3HP IR he's looking at produces more air (11.3 acfm @ 90PSIG) than
some "real 5HP" units do. Exceptions would be 2-stage units. Buying
a used compressor (except perhaps a Quincy) is a bit of a crapshoot
unless there is some way to know its history.

My 5 HP compressor makes about 14 CFM. It is single stage.

Your point on used compressors is quite right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forgot to add Mike, but I would also suggest looking for a "real 5 HP"
compressor. It would improve your productivity working on certain
tasks such as sanders or air hammers, on real projects.

The 3HP IR he's looking at produces more air (11.3 acfm @ 90PSIG) than
some "real 5HP" units do. Exceptions would be 2-stage units. Buying
a used compressor (except perhaps a Quincy) is a bit of a crapshoot
unless there is some way to know its history.

My 5 HP compressor makes about 14 CFM. It is single stage.

That's nice. Where can Mr. Henry buy one like it next week, pray
tell?

5 HP (with 15% friction) can theoretically deliver 25.6 ACFM at 90
PSIG in adiabatic single-stage compression. Pumps vary a lot in
efficiency. More efficient pumps tend to be larger and more
expensive. Example: IR pump model S-20 (single stage) delivers 19.5
ACFM @ 120 PSI with 5 HP. Figure about $1300 just for the 155-lb
pump.

There are also "consumer models" that deliver less than 10 ACFM from 6
HP.

My point was to look at ACFM, not horsepower.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Mike Henry, Larry wrote:
I have a t 10 and it's an excellent work horse.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ood-68755-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry wrote:

replying to Mike Henry, Larry wrote:
I have a t 10 and it's an excellent work horse.

I always heard that it's better to rent than own.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 18:18:02 +0000, Larry
wrote:

replying to Mike Henry, Larry wrote:
I have a t 10 and it's an excellent work horse.

The older T-10s are very good compressors. For a while..bout 4 yrs
ago..a bunch of them were made in China..not so good. But the vast
majority of the 10s are very good machines and easy to rebuild if
necessary

Gunner