Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Ingersoll Rand T-10 compressor - any good?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:26:53 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

snip
Well, I looked at the compressor tonight and it essentially looks like
new,
but the seller doesn't have 220 power in his garage so it couldn't be
powered up to check it out. No accessories at all other than what was
shipped with the compressor, not even a regulator, though he thought there
might be one about somewhere. I couldn't find a HP rating on the motor
but
is rated at 15 amp and that's fine with me - the CFM ratings were as he
described (10 cfm at 90 psig).

In looking for info on the T-10 this offering turned up at Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._158284_158284

It's an IR compressor with a different part number but essentially
identical
specs at a price of $580 with shipping. Unless The IR T-10 is somehow
better than the new one in the listing above it seems hard to justify
buying
the used one at $500, especially since I don't know for sure that the used
one works properly. The seller seemed wlling to dicker a bit but quickly
declined my offer of $300, claiming that he paid nearly $1k for it around
9
years ago.

If anyone thinks that the used one is worth $500 I'd like to hear about
it.
Perhaps a call to IR would be in order.

Mike

It isn't. I would not buy a used compressor I couldn't see and hear
running unless I personally knew and trusted the seller, and for $80
difference I'd definitely go with the new IR with a 1-yr warranty. I
would also order the start up kit for $39.95 because you'll need oil
and air filters anyway. I expect the compressor is shipped dry. That
also gets you a 2-yr extended warranty.

Thanks - that's what I figured but it had the benefit of new condition and
close proximity to make moving easier. Not seeing it run was a real deal
killer, now that the excitement of the find is past. Delivery of new stuff
by truck is always a problem here unless I want to waste a day off work
waiting for the trucker to show up and probably another when they have to
come back with the lift gate that was requested. That makes local pickup
attractive, but not for used tools of unknown condition at retail prices.

Mike