Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Ingersoll Rand T-10 compressor - any good?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:13:17 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:02:54 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Ignoramus4185" wrote in message
news:Qc6dnaR0XPJrRyrbnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@giganews .com...
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:33:57 -0600, Mike Henry
wrote:
Is the IR T-10 compressor pretty decent for light use in a home shop
and
is
it still in production? It would see mostly general shop use -
providing
air for a T&C air bearing, topping off tires, and that sort of thing.

I've finding different model numbers for IR's current offerings and
haven't
turned up much on the T-10 in web searches, other than auction
listings.

It should be indeed decent for light to moderate use. If it looks like
this:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/i...mb04/dis04.jpg

I'm pretty sure it looks like that one. What's a fair price to pay for
one
with reported low use?

Mike

That depends a lot on how much you'd rather have a compressor than to
keep looking for the best possible bargain.

If it's a 2stage, figure about $850 new. For a singlestage, figure
about $500.

It's a single-stage, I think, and is supposed to be around 9 years old
with
~100 hours use. I'm not looking for the best possible bargain so much as
not wanting to get taken too badly. The seller wants $500 which sounds be
bit high from comments here unless it has a few accessories.

The seller claims it has a 5 HP motor that draws 15 amps at 220
single-phase
and that sounds more than a little like a Sears HP rating. Maybe he's
mistaken on the HP or maybe I'm mistaken on the single phase. I'll check
it
out tomorrow evening if the seller is available then and see what's what.

Mike

What really counts is ACFM at 90 PSI. For $500 you should be able to
get about 11 ACFM.

If the tank is an ASME tank in good condx and the pump is rated for
11+ ACFM at 90 PSI and is in good shape, then the tank and pump are
worth most of $500. A "real" 5 HP 21-amp 220V single-phase
compressor-service motor is about $200, less if you find a bargain.

Ingersoll pumps aren't as good as long-lived as Quincy because they're
splash-lube rather than pressure-lube, but in home shop service they
should last a lifetime. I have an IMC clone of the Ingersoll T29 pump
that has been in service for nearly 20 years and I keep "air up" 24/7
except when we're away for any length of time. I replaced the motor
last year but the pump is still going strong.

Well, I looked at the compressor tonight and it essentially looks like new,
but the seller doesn't have 220 power in his garage so it couldn't be
powered up to check it out. No accessories at all other than what was
shipped with the compressor, not even a regulator, though he thought there
might be one about somewhere. I couldn't find a HP rating on the motor but
is rated at 15 amp and that's fine with me - the CFM ratings were as he
described (10 cfm at 90 psig).

In looking for info on the T-10 this offering turned up at Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._158284_158284

It's an IR compressor with a different part number but essentially identical
specs at a price of $580 with shipping. Unless The IR T-10 is somehow
better than the new one in the listing above it seems hard to justify buying
the used one at $500, especially since I don't know for sure that the used
one works properly. The seller seemed wlling to dicker a bit but quickly
declined my offer of $300, claiming that he paid nearly $1k for it around 9
years ago.

If anyone thinks that the used one is worth $500 I'd like to hear about it.
Perhaps a call to IR would be in order.

Mike