Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Ingersoll Rand T-10 compressor - any good?

"Brent" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 7, 2:33 pm, Ignoramus11957 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11957.invalid wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:13:17 -0500, Mike Henry
wrote:

It's a single-stage, I think, and is supposed to be around 9 years old
with
~100 hours use. I'm not looking for the best possible bargain so much
as
not wanting to get taken too badly. The seller wants $500 which sounds
be a
bit high from comments here unless it has a few accessories.

Sounds a bit high to me. Check out ebay item 330149208046, which is
comparable and honestly described (it seems). Sold for $112.

You can search eBay completed items for

("5 hp", 5hp)
compressor -(7.5*,2.5*,champion,motor,airbrush,honda,gas)

you will see that the prices for comparable models are way below the
$500 that the seller is asking.

The seller claims it has a 5 HP motor that draws 15 amps at 220
single-phase and that sounds more than a little like a Sears HP
rating. Maybe he's mistaken on the HP or maybe I'm mistaken on the
single phase. I'll check it out tomorrow evening if the seller is
available then and see what's what.

At best, 220 volts, 15 amps is 3,300 watt, or 4.37 HP, assuming
unattainable, perfect 100% efficiency. My 5 HP Baldor motor is rated
for 23 amps. It is rated for 82% efficiency and 87% power factor.

But the point here is thats still far better than 5 "sears" hp

AIR, the seller says that the compressor puts out around 10 cfm at 90 psig.
From what I've seen of IR's current low range offerings that capacity and
the current draw sounds a lot more like 3 HP than 5 HP. Hopefully I'll find
out tomorrow.

I'd still like to get impressions from any current or past IR T-10 owners.

Mike