Bert

Default Opinions on Ingersoll Rand SS3L3 compressor?

I'm looking for a compressor for running die grinders and similar air
tools. Eventually I'll probably use it with a small blasting cabinet
as well. A brief look at new compressors turned up the Ingersoll Rand
SS3L3 for around $540 at Grainger
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611729028&ccitem=
or MSC. With a rating of 11.3 cfm @ 90 psi, this appears to be more
than enough for the air tools, and adequate but less than ideal for
blasting. Does that sound about right? Does anyone have any experience
with this model? Any recommendations for other brands / models in the
same price range?

Thanks,
Bert
wmbjk

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:12:00 GMT, Bert wrote:

I'm looking for a compressor for running die grinders and similar air
tools. Eventually I'll probably use it with a small blasting cabinet
as well. A brief look at new compressors turned up the Ingersoll Rand
SS3L3 for around $540 at Grainger
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611729028&ccitem=
or MSC. With a rating of 11.3 cfm @ 90 psi, this appears to be more
than enough for the air tools, and adequate but less than ideal for
blasting. Does that sound about right? Does anyone have any experience
with this model? Any recommendations for other brands / models in the
same price range?

Thanks,
Bert

Only 3 hp? Looks like somebody's been letting the air out of
compressor hp ratings. This one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3848
is either 3.5 or 6.5 hp depending on which part of the description you
prefer. Yet look here
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55222,
same thing, except that apparently once broken-in and reconditioned,
the extra 3 hp is fully restored. :-)

Wayne
Searcher

I have that model, and it's been the greatest for about 8 months now. I used
to have a Crapsman 135psi but thing would rattle the house. Now with the IR
it so quiet I can actually still hear whats going on the radio. When I use
it , it runs and I mean continuously until I am done with my task. I did
however have a polem with it about 2 months ago, the bleed off seemed to
stop working and it would come on by itself during the day when I was at
work. (which this thing wouldn't lose as much as a pound of air before),
Well I called IR and explained to them what was going on, the guy on the
phone said no problem whats your address. then explained what was going
wrong. Now keep in mind this is at 2 pm on a Tuesday, by 10 am the next day
the part I needed was at my door!!!NO CHARGE! Been running fine since. You
think Craftsman would do this? I run alot with my IR , sand blasting /
impacts/air ratchets. die grinders/ ETC... Aside from the continuous pump
operation I have found this to be the best 40 bucks I ever spent! Oh I
must've forgotten that part of the story. I walked into a local supply store
and saw a couple of pallets of items in the yard. I asked about them and was
told they were returns that were being written off??? I looked at the items
and saw the IR and a generator. I said what ya goona do with this stuff, the
response, Gonna recoed it then take it to the dump.............WHAT?? I
offered 50 for the genny and 40 for the IR. Got them home the genny fired
right up and I found that the tank on the IR had a pin hole in it, PIN HOLE
, I got a welder NO MORE pinhole.
Sorry for the gloat guys!!!!

Searcher1

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Small compressor : DeWalt or Ingersoll Aaron Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 04:00 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Woodworking 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Home Repair 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Home Ownership 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM