Tim Auton

Default UK suppliers (Taig Mill)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

So, anybody know of a UK/European supplier? If anybody has had a Taig
mill (or similar) imported to the UK direct from the US I'd like to
hear how it went.

Along the same lines: any recommendations for UK suppliers of stock,
hand tools and the rest of the paraphernalia associated with making
parts would be appreciated. I live in Sheffield, in case anybody else
reading does too and knows of local suppliers.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Leon Heller

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

So, anybody know of a UK/European supplier? If anybody has had a Taig
mill (or similar) imported to the UK direct from the US I'd like to
hear how it went.

Along the same lines: any recommendations for UK suppliers of stock,
hand tools and the rest of the paraphernalia associated with making
parts would be appreciated. I live in Sheffield, in case anybody else
reading does too and knows of local suppliers.

Peatol does supply the lathe, I actually saw one once at Mr Peatol's (Peter
Morrison's) house when I went there to pick up some items once. Peatol is
the only European distributor for the non-CNC Taig machines.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Tim Auton

"Leon Heller" wrote:
"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
.. .

[snip]
I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

[snip]
Peatol does supply the lathe

^^^^^
A typo I assume, I was asking about the mill

, I actually saw one once at Mr Peatol's (Peter
Morrison's) house when I went there to pick up some items once. Peatol is
the only European distributor for the non-CNC Taig machines.

My fault for not mentioning it, but I was actually after the CNC (or
CNC-ready - I'm still debating cost vs hassle) mill. Do you mean
Peatol doesn't supply the CNC versions, or that there is another
European distributor for the CNC versions?

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Moray Cuthill

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

So, anybody know of a UK/European supplier? If anybody has had a Taig
mill (or similar) imported to the UK direct from the US I'd like to
hear how it went.

Along the same lines: any recommendations for UK suppliers of stock,
hand tools and the rest of the paraphernalia associated with making
parts would be appreciated. I live in Sheffield, in case anybody else
reading does too and knows of local suppliers.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.

Try a post on uk.rec.models.engineering
Plenty people on there who will be able to help. There's at least 1 with a
CNC Taig Mill

Moray

Leon Heller

"Leon Heller" wrote:
[...]

Yes, I meant the mill. I don't know who supplies the CNC version, there used
to be a distributor in the UK.

Leon

Tim Auton

"Leon Heller" wrote:
"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
.. .

[snip]
I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

[good info]
Yes, I meant the mill. I don't know who supplies the CNC version, there used
to be a distributor in the UK.

Thanks Leon. Anybody know of the name of that distributor? Direct
import from the US is looking more likely. Good job the dollar is so
weak just now

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Robin S.

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill.

Regards,

Robin

simon hodkinson

Tim,

as others have said uk.rec.models.engineering are an excellent group to help
you out. I am also interested in a taig mill maybe so please post up which
route you go.

Unusally i can directly help out with stock and tool suppliers. I say
unusually as i have only been metalworking 8 months so i dont know a lot but
i have just been through the "where do i get stock and tools from" realm

Here are some of the better ones i have used.. Please note I am not linked
in any way to these people other than being a happy customer.

If you want any more info from me on suppliers please feel free to drop me a
line at

SimonHodkinson@(^&%)coppper(^&%)stream(dot)co(dot% )uk. Remove the bracketed
stuff.

Simon

Tools
====

Chronos Ltd - good for tooling of all sorts and smallish stock. pricing ok
good service. delivery occasionaly slow during shows.

J A crew Ltd - i think this chap buys bulk loads of stuff and then sells on.
very friendly. good delivery and some bargains to be had.

Stock
=====

mailordermetals.co.uk. - very competitively priced and a genuine chap. I
have had lots of stock from here. accepts cheque's only.
metalsontheweb.co.uk - good because they have a big range of stock. pricey
though.
merseymetals - friendly to the small guy - had some ptfe of
them. pricing is ok.
modelfixings.co.uk - cheap, very fast. for all your metric / imperial
grub screws cap bolts etc . excellent service.

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

So, anybody know of a UK/European supplier? If anybody has had a Taig
mill (or similar) imported to the UK direct from the US I'd like to
hear how it went.

Along the same lines: any recommendations for UK suppliers of stock,
hand tools and the rest of the paraphernalia associated with making
parts would be appreciated. I live in Sheffield, in case anybody else
reading does too and knows of local suppliers.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.

Steve

Look out for Tony Jeffree on URME - he's the guy that supplies Taig in the
UK and I do know he delivers CNC versions. I think he uses Xylotex(sp?)
boards rather than the Taig solution.

Steve

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm looking for a UK (or European) supplier for the Taig mill. I
understand Peatol is Taig's UK distributor, but their website doesn't
mention the mill (only the lathe) and you can't email them.

So, anybody know of a UK/European supplier? If anybody has had a Taig
mill (or similar) imported to the UK direct from the US I'd like to
hear how it went.

Along the same lines: any recommendations for UK suppliers of stock,
hand tools and the rest of the paraphernalia associated with making
parts would be appreciated. I live in Sheffield, in case anybody else
reading does too and knows of local suppliers.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.

Tim Auton

Thanks for the answers everyone, I'll ask on uk.rec.models.engineering
after a respectable time from my first post there.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Look out for Tony Jeffree on URME - he's the guy that supplies Taig in the
UK and I do know he delivers CNC versions. I think he uses Xylotex(sp?)
boards rather than the Taig solution.

Idiomatic usage can lead to confusion, especially when
communicating between the US and the UK.

"Look out for" as in "beware of", or as in "keep your eyes open to
find"?

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

Since Tony is an exemplary human, it would be the latter.
Tony to my knowledge (saw him two weeks ago...) does not sell the
Taig CNC mill.
Tony does sell an excellent rotary CNC index controller:
http://www.jeffree.co.uk/DivisionMaster.html
As well as a book about the Taig lathe.
http://www.jeffree.co.uk/DivisionMaster/press.html

http://www.quantumcnc.co.uk/
Is the dealer for the Taig CNC in the UK, as far as I know. You can
just contact Taig directly and ask them:
http://www.taigtools.com/

Nick, all things Taig: www.cartertools.com

On 28 Jul 2004 19:38:42 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Look out for Tony Jeffree on URME - he's the guy that supplies Taig in the
UK and I do know he delivers CNC versions. I think he uses Xylotex(sp?)
boards rather than the Taig solution.

Idiomatic usage can lead to confusion, especially when
communicating between the US and the UK.

"Look out for" as in "beware of", or as in "keep your eyes open to
find"?

Good Luck,
DoN.

Tim Auton

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter wrote:
[snip]

http://www.quantumcnc.co.uk/
Is the dealer for the Taig CNC in the UK, as far as I know. You can
just contact Taig directly and ask them:

Thanks. I see the good old $1 = £1 exchange rate applies. That looks
like a major markup with the current exchange rates, even taking into
account import duties.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.