Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default String Trimmer line

Ok, now that the string trimmer selection and advice has been given,
whats the consensus on what the best line is?

I like the Husky pro line personally, followed by Stihl Premium,The so
called Titanium and other off beat brans typically sold at big box
stores generally sucks IMHO, except perhaps some of the shakespere
premium multi edge cut is fair to decent.

I by small rolls to try it before I spend the $$ on a 1000 feet of
what may be junk. I acquired a roll of .120" red line whose name I d9
not remember presently, and it was awfull. It would never ever break
justy keep stretching and welding itself to each other on the spools,
some real gawd awfull junk.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Roy" wrote: (clip) It would never ever break justy keep stretching and
welding itself to each other on the spools, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have given up on all the self-feeding spool systems. Not only does the
string weld to itself inside the spool--it always breaks just at the feed
hole, requiring the spool to be disassembled and rethreaded. I now use the
types of cutting head where you cut off several inches of string and stab it
into the holes. You can use heavy string that way, which lasts longer, and
you can replace the worn or broken pieces in seconds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:32:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Roy" wrote: (clip) It would never ever break justy keep stretching and
welding itself to each other on the spools, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have given up on all the self-feeding spool systems. Not only does the
string weld to itself inside the spool--it always breaks just at the feed
hole, requiring the spool to be disassembled and rethreaded. I now use the

The Husky tap-head is a self-feeder and I've never had a weldup on it.
I've been through several spools each of orange, green, and now the
titanium line, too. The titanium line lives up to its longevity
boasts and is the best line I've used yet.

types of cutting head where you cut off several inches of string and stab it
into the holes. You can use heavy string that way, which lasts longer, and
you can replace the worn or broken pieces in seconds.

The new DR mower my neighbor just bought has those and I hate them.
With the exception of the beaded line, the line always slips out.

---
In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact
with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Zircon

I bought a lightweight Stilh bent shaft tirmmer for quick jobs and
also for the wife to use, as she always complained my Jonsered was too
heavy for her. I have it now 2 + seasons and its never failed to feed
line, as up unti now its always used Stihl line. I modded the trimmer
head to take .095 line, same as what I use on my Jonsered, since i
have a huyge spool of Husky Pro star shaped line that works fine. I
can only fit 8 1/2 feet of line on the spool instead of the 10 feet
length (2 spools 5" each spool) tap and feed head.......but its not a
problem since it lasts a lot longer than the .080" line it came
equipped with.

I guess I may pick up a spool of .080 Husky orange pro or some
titanium. ONly welding of line I ever had was with that one spool of
professional line that stretches and welds itself, no matter how much
line I wiind on the spools, so it is never used anymore........I maay
try that on the Stihl since its also .095" and see if it works better
on it than it did on the Jonsered.

I may be crazy, but I use stainless steel cable on my Jonsered
anymore. Its been about 2 years since I replaced line. I have a loop
swedged in the stainless cable and the loop goes around the spool.
Cuts like crazy, and as long as its supported with the shoulder/
backstrap support there is no chamnce of it wacking the user.....Of
ocurase its not used up against siding and wood etc, but it just lasts
forever. IIRC its 3/32" stainless cable that I used or the next size
under 5/64th perhaps?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
lid (Zircon) wrote:

[...]

1/8 inch? Steel wire rope? Phew! That'll show them darn weeds!

Ja, sure, you betcha!

Sounds like it might be a good idea for all those blasted blackberry
volunteers around this place. Give them a season and the damn things
will take over.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.