Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Zircon

Default String Trimmer line

I bought a lightweight Stilh bent shaft tirmmer for quick jobs and
also for the wife to use, as she always complained my Jonsered was too
heavy for her. I have it now 2 + seasons and its never failed to feed
line, as up unti now its always used Stihl line. I modded the trimmer
head to take .095 line, same as what I use on my Jonsered, since i
have a huyge spool of Husky Pro star shaped line that works fine. I
can only fit 8 1/2 feet of line on the spool instead of the 10 feet
length (2 spools 5" each spool) tap and feed head.......but its not a
problem since it lasts a lot longer than the .080" line it came
equipped with.

I guess I may pick up a spool of .080 Husky orange pro or some
titanium. ONly welding of line I ever had was with that one spool of
professional line that stretches and welds itself, no matter how much
line I wiind on the spools, so it is never used anymore........I maay
try that on the Stihl since its also .095" and see if it works better
on it than it did on the Jonsered.

I may be crazy, but I use stainless steel cable on my Jonsered
anymore. Its been about 2 years since I replaced line. I have a loop
swedged in the stainless cable and the loop goes around the spool.
Cuts like crazy, and as long as its supported with the shoulder/
backstrap support there is no chamnce of it wacking the user.....Of
ocurase its not used up against siding and wood etc, but it just lasts
forever. IIRC its 3/32" stainless cable that I used or the next size
under 5/64th perhaps?