Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Electricitous Mouse Trap

A while back, someone posted a link to a mouse killing device they had made
out of a fence electrification unit. IIRC, it involved a couple of rods,
and a plastic pan full of water to catch and drown the stunned meeces.

Would that person please post that up again? I need to make one for my
cabin. The mice are out in force this spring.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:09:56 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

My version of the "perfect mouse trap"

1 electric fence charger
1 5 gal plastic bucket
strip of sheet metal 2"x24" or so
2 lengths 12 ga of wire with alligator clips on the ends
small piece hardware cloth 3"x4" or so for holding bait use peanut
butter
some pop rivets to attach tin to bucket machine screws would also work
lenght of wood lathe

Cut a length of tin long enough to stretch across bucket top.
fasten to the bucket top with rivets on both ends. This is the base,
it will be where the gound connection to charger attaches.

At 90 deg attach 12" length of tin.fasten hardware cloth square on
the free end. This is bent in a question mark shape over the ground
strip. Positive attaches to bait strip, postiion bait square a couple
of inches above ground strip, smear bait square with peanut butter
Hook up wires. and energize

Set lathe so mice can climb up to the ground strip. When mice reach
up to eat bait-- zappo--- then they fall down into bottom of bucket
with several inches of water in bottom.. Use ice fishing ladle to
scoop out floaters, check this once a week or so, floaters left in
warm weather decompose after a week or so ---mouse soup
nasty stuff if water dries up. add clorox if hanta virus is a concern.

Not my invention but it is" the perfect mouse trap"

ED

A while back, someone posted a link to a mouse killing device they had made
out of a fence electrification unit. IIRC, it involved a couple of rods,
and a plastic pan full of water to catch and drown the stunned meeces.

Would that person please post that up again? I need to make one for my
cabin. The mice are out in force this spring.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

wrote:

[...]

Combine with one of my "Bug Bucket" fly traps (Directions can be found
at http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html ) and leave
the dead ones in there as bait...

Talk about killing two birds with one stone...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Don Bruder" wrote

--
Don Bruder

Dang fine info and website, Don. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

[...]

Now how about catching "tree rats"?

A while back, someone posted a link to a mouse killing device they had made
out of a fence electrification unit. IIRC, it involved a couple of rods,
and a plastic pan full of water to catch and drown the stunned meeces.

Would that person please post that up again? I need to make one for my
cabin. The mice are out in force this spring.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

Now how about catching "tree rats"?

The latest thing touted in this area is this same concept, but using perches
that have electrified wires in them. They break the bird from landing on
that building in one lesson. Doesn't kill it, though. Wouldn't want to
offend any of the PITAs. OOps, I mean PETAs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:49:43 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

Now how about catching "tree rats"?

The latest thing touted in this area is this same concept, but using perches
that have electrified wires in them. They break the bird from landing on
that building in one lesson. Doesn't kill it, though. Wouldn't want to
offend any of the PITAs. OOps, I mean PETAs.

Steve

Tree rats are NOT birds. They are SQUIRRELS.
Then there's the "salad theives" - those cute little hip-hop artistes
that mow down anything green within their (considerable) reach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:54:06 -0700, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,

Combine with one of my "Bug Bucket" fly traps (Directions can be found
at http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html ) and leave
the dead ones in there as bait...

Talk about killing two birds with one stone...

Nice fly trap, I only get a run on mice
in the fall. I haven't caught one in a few months now.
I would never have thought to use yeast as a bait.

I think I'll try one off of your plans come fly season.

Someone off this group is going to make a device that
is a universal "pestilence removal unit" judging from
some of the recent threads.

A coyote, pigeon, squirrel, barking dog,cat,
cockroach,fly,yellowjacket, rodent
snake removal/recycling device.
..

ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:18:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I believe you mean "length of wood lath", Ed. We ain't talkin' wooden
machines here, bubba.

Yea, last year I couldn't even spell techician, now I are one!!

GREAT idea!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:21:05 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, ED
quickly quoth:

wrote:

I believe you mean "length of wood lath", Ed. We ain't talkin' wooden
machines here, bubba.

Yea, last year I couldn't even spell techician, now I are one!!

Couldn't spell what? g

--
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
--Chinese Proverb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

wrote:

I believe you mean "length of wood lath", Ed. We ain't talkin' wooden
machines here, bubba.

Yea, last year I couldn't even spell techician, now I are one!!

Couldn't spell what? g

ROTFL!!!!

My "speed reading" capability apparently filled in that "glitch" for me
- Didn't even notice it until you pointed it out!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bushy Pete

Yea, last year I couldn't even spell techician, now I are one!!

Couldn't spell what? g

ROTFL!!!!

My "speed reading" capability apparently filled in that "glitch" for me
- Didn't even notice it until you pointed it out!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist
and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Fcuknig amzanig huh?
;)
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk

"Bushy Pete" wrote:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist
and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Fcuknig amzanig huh?
;)
Peter

Amazing isn't it. The only words that my mind froze on, were the ones
starting with w
jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
jk wrote:

"Bushy Pete" wrote:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist
and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Fcuknig amzanig huh?
;)
Peter

Amazing isn't it. The only words that my mind froze on, were the ones
starting with w
jk

More than a little research (probably some of it at "Cmabrigde") has
shown that a "fast" reader doesn't see letters, or even words, so much
as the *SHAPES* of familiar words. When encountering new/rare words,
there's a slowdown to "letter-by-letter" reading, but for familiar
words, the outline formed by the letters is apparently most of what gets
recognized. One piece I read (sevearl years ago) that covered the topic
discussed a test series that used *NO* letters at all - Just a block
outline of the shapes of the words making up the test text.

The folks doing the study were shocked to find that in some people they
tested, there was better than 95% comprehension of rather extensive
chunks of text - Or perhaps I should say "text outlines". Not as
surprising (at least to me) was the finding that those who showed the
highest comprehension of the "block text" were also the fastest readers
of "normal" text.

I found that I did pretty well (I don't remember what the exact
percentage was, but I do recall that it was high) on the samples of
"outline text" that were included in the paper. Which didn't really
surprise me...

The other finding that came out of that study was that reading speed and
text-recognition fell through the basement floor when the test text,
whether "outline" or "normal", was made up of words in ALL-CAPS.

SCIENTIFIC PROOF THAT WRITING IN ALL CAPS IS BAD!

Not bragging - simply presenting a data-point for comparison - but I
burn up the typical 300-ish page paperback in about 3-4 hours routinely,
and once went through Stephen King's "complete and uncut" version of The
Stand in less than 14 hours. I started re-reading Frank Herbert's "Dune"
series (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children Of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune)
last night. I finished Dune this morning, after about 4 hours of "sit
down and read" time. After about 2 hours or so of Dune Messiah, I'm a
bit less than 2/3 of the way through. If I go at my usual speed, I
expect to be finished with Children of Dune, and at least partway
through (if not done with) God Emperor of Dune before daylight on
Thursday.

And now a little brag:
I read *ALMOST* as fast upside down, in a mirror, or, if the page is
transparent enough, "through" the page (reading the text on the opposite
side of the page from what's facing me) as I do "normally". Dunno how or
why - it's not something I recall ever making any effort to practice -
or even learn. I just know that's reality for me. Reading so fast kinda
sucks - It means I'm CONSTANTLY looking for something else to read!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 23 May 2006 00:17:23 -0700, Don Bruder
wrote:

Not bragging - simply presenting a data-point for comparison - but I
burn up the typical 300-ish page paperback in about 3-4 hours routinely,
and once went through Stephen King's "complete and uncut" version of The
Stand in less than 14 hours. I started re-reading Frank Herbert's "Dune"
series (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children Of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune)
last night. I finished Dune this morning, after about 4 hours of "sit
down and read" time. After about 2 hours or so of Dune Messiah, I'm a
bit less than 2/3 of the way through. If I go at my usual speed, I
expect to be finished with Children of Dune, and at least partway
through (if not done with) God Emperor of Dune before daylight on
Thursday.

Same here. The bitch of it is..you run out of book long before you
want to.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

wrote:

Not bragging - simply presenting a data-point for comparison - but I
burn up the typical 300-ish page paperback in about 3-4 hours routinely,
and once went through Stephen King's "complete and uncut" version of The
Stand in less than 14 hours. I started re-reading Frank Herbert's "Dune"
series (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children Of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune)
last night. I finished Dune this morning, after about 4 hours of "sit
down and read" time. After about 2 hours or so of Dune Messiah, I'm a
bit less than 2/3 of the way through. If I go at my usual speed, I
expect to be finished with Children of Dune, and at least partway
through (if not done with) God Emperor of Dune before daylight on
Thursday.

Same here. The bitch of it is..you run out of book long before you
want to.

Yep. Serious PITA, haunting flea markets and garage sales for books you
haven't already read. Caught myself reading one of a friend's freakin'
bodice ripper books once. Fortunately, I stopped and ran away screaming
before the brain injury was permanent. I think. I hope.

Then again, I do read misc.survivalism daily at least -- and milk
cartons, cereal boxes, documents on peoples' desks from the wrong side,
missing child/dog/cat/guinea pig flyers, etc. etc. etc.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article
,
John Husvar wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So I'm *NOT* the last omnivorous reader on the planet!

I'd be willing to bet that both of you have seen, and done your absolute
damnedest to avoid shedding a tear while saying "It's just not fair!",
over the "old series" Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough"?

SPOILER WARNING:

For those not familiar with it -

A young(er) Burgess Meredith is a mousey little bank-clerk type with a
tyrant wife, and double-coke-bottle-bottom glasses. He's an avid reader
- Everybody seems to hate himn for it. His wife destroys a book he's
reading. His boss bawls him out about reading on the job. He's always
being grumped at by somebody for snatching a little time for reading,
whether it be a newspaper, a paperback romance, the back of a cereal
box, the directions for some gizmo or other he'll never seen, let alone
put together or use, and so on.

One day, he wanders down to the basement vault for lunch with a
newspaper and a book. We see the headline of the paper, which reads
something like "Atomic tensions rising - world may be destroyed!", and
partway through lunch, a mighty shaking that heralds TEOTWAWKI happens.

He emerges from the vault to find the blasted ruins of the city, and no
people. After stumbling around in a semi-daze of shock for a while and
realizing he's probably the only living human in the city, if not the
world, he comes to the remains of a library. Starts hauling out stacks
of books - With a monologue about Hemingway, and Twain, and Melville and
Plato, and others, to the tune of "OK, I might be the last man on earth,
but I've still got my dear freinds, so I can be happy", ending (or
perhaps "running down") wth "And finally I've got time enough!"

Just then, a late bomb flashes in the distance, the ground shakes, and
he stumbles down the library steps. As he gets to his knees, we see his
glasses have come off. He gropes around, and so predictably, they're
broken - We get a view of what he sees when he puts them on - cracked
and crazed, a mess of out-of-focus bits and pieces, almost as if the
world is being seen through a kaleidescope - utterly impossible to read
through unless each letter is the size of a billboard, and maybe not
even then. A few moments of realization, and we fade to black on his
despairing wail of "Oh, it's so unfair! I finally had time enough..."

One of the absolute classics of the show, and right up there in my book
with "Flowers For Algernon" (Later turned into the play, then the movie
"Charly") for tales I love/hate.

Sadder still, to watch it die, than never to have known it...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:23:55 GMT, John Husvar
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I gave away a full sized refrigerator box full of paperbacks
to a local library, when my oilfield crew was transferred out of Eley
Nevada. Id only been there 6 months...

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Don Bruder wrote
on Tue, 23 May 2006 07:15:39 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article
,
John Husvar wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Nope. I'll read just about anything printed in English, and will
puzzle at German till the brain fogs up.
In Russian, I'm reduced to sounding out the words, and hoping something
sounds familiar.

I'd be willing to bet that both of you have seen, and done your absolute
damnedest to avoid shedding a tear while saying "It's just not fair!",
over the "old series" Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough"?

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Nope. I'll read just about anything printed in English, and will
puzzle at German till the brain fogs up.
In Russian, I'm reduced to sounding out the words, and hoping something
sounds familiar.

Yep. I can manage to read French, German, some Italian, Tex-Mex and
Spanish, and can puzzle out some Russian because it borrowed a lot of
words from other languages and just writes them in Cyrillic. (sp?)

Don wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that both of you have seen, and done your absolute
damnedest to avoid shedding a tear while saying "It's just not fair!",
over the "old series" Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough"?

Scared the hell outta me until my eyes got to where I read better
without lenses than with.

But, yep, I could really sympathize with the poor character.

He maybe could have gone to some pharmacies and got reading glasses or
found an optometrist shop and tried leftover glasses until something
worked. In that scenario he'd have had endless opportunities because
there would have been nothing to hinder him except his eyesight. (Well,
and maybe a bit of hard radiation.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
Bring back, oh, bring back
Oh, bring back Clerk Maxwell to me.

Loosening plastic waste water trap Clive UK diy 7 April 22nd 06 11:57 AM
Loosening plastic waste water trap Clive UK diy 1 April 21st 06 04:47 PM
Mouse Balls Cliff Metalworking 47 April 2nd 06 05:10 AM
The Look What I Can Do Trap charlie b Woodturning 10 January 15th 06 12:20 AM