Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ignoramus19822

Default Made a first weld with PCTI three phase firing controller (photo)

Here's the pictu

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

The weld says "Thank you PCTI".

For those who missed my previous posts, I am redoing my welder using a
modern three phase firing system by PCTI. My hope is that this
controller would allow me to do constant current and constant voltage
welding (stick/TIG and MIG), as well as plasma cutting if I rewire my
transformer for higher voltage. (this rewiring would be done
dynamically by contactors)

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

Many thanks go to Glen from s.e.d., who gave me great advice
throughout.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding
Nick Müller

Ignoramus19822 wrote:

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

That is a rectifier? Russian brand?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10275

On Wed, 17 May 2006 01:15:53 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:52:48 GMT, Ignoramus19822
wrote:

Here's the pictu

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

The weld says "Thank you PCTI".

For those who missed my previous posts, I am redoing my welder using a
modern three phase firing system by PCTI. My hope is that this
controller would allow me to do constant current and constant voltage
welding (stick/TIG and MIG), as well as plasma cutting if I rewire my
transformer for higher voltage. (this rewiring would be done
dynamically by contactors)

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

Many thanks go to Glen from s.e.d., who gave me great advice
throughout.

You are running beads. That is very good, very good indeed.

Friendly suggestion: don't sign up for any competitions just yet.....
but by all means keep on truckin', make more beads.

Thanks... I know that I am not good at welding... Although stick
welding is very forgiving...

But I am happy that this controller is working, that means that I
could potentially go ahead with making it into a more usable welder. I
am not sure if I mentioned it, but this transformer can be
reconfigured for OCV of 300 volts and thus plasma cutting.

I got some noname plasma torch and will soon work on this. My plan is
to use contactors to change it from a 200A, 90V OCV welder, to a 300V
OCV plasma cutting power supply, by flipping a switch and engaging
different contactors. I may be able to do it over the weekend.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding

Both links go to the same picture. Can I borrow your welder for the
weekend BTW? I'd like to ground it to a Commodore 64 motherboard and
run the electrode across the PCB, just to see what would happen.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding
mlcorson

Iggie:
You are brilliant man. I wish I knew what you are talking about. Sounds
like you'll be able to do any kind of welding or cutting process you'll
ever need. Is this the Cybertig you bought for $9.99? How much $$ do
you have in this little project? Reminds me of the "rock soup" story my
grandmother used to tell me, where the main ingredients of the soup
were free. A rock and water...all you had to do was add everything in
order to make it taste like something. Good job!
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ignoramus10275

On 17 May 2006 13:35:13 -0700, mlcorson wrote:
Iggie:
You are brilliant man. I wish I knew what you are talking about.

I am definitely not brilliant, I had some good guidance, that's all.

Sounds like you'll be able to do any kind of welding or cutting
process you'll ever need. Is this the Cybertig you bought for $9.99?

yes

How much $$ do you have in this little project? Reminds me of the
"rock soup" story my grandmother used to tell me, where the main
ingredients of the soup were free. A rock and water...all you had to
do was add everything in order to make it taste like something. Good
job! -Mike

You got me started on this...

It's kind of like rock soup, even though I got the welder for $9.99
and the controller for free. I also have to admit that I bought more
things than I needed for this project. I thought I needed them, bought
them, and then did not need them. And that is not even considering the
value of my time.

All in all, the price of parts that are installed in the welder, right
now, is probably about $100-150. Also I bought a plasma torch for
$52. Converting the SCR control is not a cheap project, although it
could be much much worse. I am sure that more costs will pile up as I
need to use time delay relays, etc for TIG control circuit. (I have
some TDRs already, and a lot of 50 cent 4pdt relays, etc, but I know
that more and more cost will add).

The value of stuff that I spent to get the IGBT inverter (not yet in
the welder), is much, much more. I am guessing that I sunk about $500
in that IGBT project, if I count burned up parts and parts that I
bought and did not use, etc.

A lot of doodads are even hard to count, like quick connect terminals,
wire, etc. I used some stuff that I had, also. Some tools that I
bought,such as angle air drill, partially should be costed against the
welder project, but will hopefully used for other things later.

As far as the value of time spent, I would be better off buying a very
expensive TIG welder, a brand new plasma cutter, etc, and doing some
side consulting gigs. But I am somehow very drawn to this welder
project and cannot stop.

The approach of a person who only cares about making as much money as
possible, in my situation, is to never touch any tools (including
welders), hire handymen to do everything, buy only brand new stuff,
and work with computers all the time and never go into my garage
except to get in and out of my truck. But I cannot do that, life would
be too boring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:52:57 GMT, Ignoramus10275
wrote:

The approach of a person who only cares about making as much money as
possible, in my situation, is to never touch any tools (including
welders), hire handymen to do everything, buy only brand new stuff,
and work with computers all the time and never go into my garage
except to get in and out of my truck. But I cannot do that, life would
be too boring.

Absolutely! And therein lies the value of learning skills like
machining and welding if you already have a good "day job".
They enable us to do what we want, whether or not anyone else thinks
our projects make any sense. They don't have to make sense to
anyone else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

wrote:

The approach of a person who only cares about making as much money as
possible, in my situation, is to never touch any tools (including
welders), hire handymen to do everything, buy only brand new stuff,
and work with computers all the time and never go into my garage
except to get in and out of my truck. But I cannot do that, life would
be too boring.

Absolutely! And therein lies the value of learning skills like
machining and welding if you already have a good "day job".
They enable us to do what we want, whether or not anyone else thinks
our projects make any sense. They don't have to make sense to
anyone else.

Yes. That's right.

The journey to the destination is more stimulating than the
destination...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding
James Waldby

Nick Müller wrote:

Ignoramus19822 wrote:

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

That is a rectifier? Russian brand?

Good joke

Iggy probably meant to refer to the scr's shown in
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0251.jpg
or another of the pictures from
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...New-Rectifier/
eg http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0253.jpg
which has an edited "Rectifier" label.

-jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ignoramus1473

On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:00:57 -0600, James Waldby wrote:
Nick Müller wrote:

Ignoramus19822 wrote:

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

That is a rectifier? Russian brand?

Good joke

Iggy probably meant to refer to the scr's shown in
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0251.jpg
or another of the pictures from
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...New-Rectifier/
eg http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0253.jpg
which has an edited "Rectifier" label.

Yes, these are the ones. IIRC, they were made in Italy.

More pictures where the SCRs can be seen better, are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0004.jpg
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0017.jpg

Three-decker table I just made, with photo Dan_Musicant Woodworking 2 July 21st 05 09:13 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 08:07 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM