Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10275

Default Made a first weld with PCTI three phase firing controller (photo)

On Wed, 17 May 2006 01:15:53 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:52:48 GMT, Ignoramus19822
wrote:

Here's the pictu

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

The weld says "Thank you PCTI".

For those who missed my previous posts, I am redoing my welder using a
modern three phase firing system by PCTI. My hope is that this
controller would allow me to do constant current and constant voltage
welding (stick/TIG and MIG), as well as plasma cutting if I rewire my
transformer for higher voltage. (this rewiring would be done
dynamically by contactors)

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0255.jpg

Many thanks go to Glen from s.e.d., who gave me great advice
throughout.

You are running beads. That is very good, very good indeed.

Friendly suggestion: don't sign up for any competitions just yet.....
but by all means keep on truckin', make more beads.

Thanks... I know that I am not good at welding... Although stick
welding is very forgiving...

But I am happy that this controller is working, that means that I
could potentially go ahead with making it into a more usable welder. I
am not sure if I mentioned it, but this transformer can be
reconfigured for OCV of 300 volts and thus plasma cutting.

I got some noname plasma torch and will soon work on this. My plan is
to use contactors to change it from a 200A, 90V OCV welder, to a 300V
OCV plasma cutting power supply, by flipping a switch and engaging
different contactors. I may be able to do it over the weekend.