Mark

Default machining needed

I'm not a regular here, so please excuse me if this type of post is not
appropriate here.

I will be needing a quantity of 10-32 brass machine screws, .5 inches long
to be drilled down the center with about a .95 size drill. The exact size is
not at all critical - I just want to pass some wires through the length of
the screw while still maintaining some structural integrity.

I would like 10 pieces now for prototyping, but will need about 600 per year
after that. If anyone is interested, please email me at
.

Thank you.

Mark

JMartin957

What is a .95 size drill, roughly?

John Martin

Trevor Jones

Mark wrote:

I'm not a regular here, so please excuse me if this type of post is not
appropriate here.

I will be needing a quantity of 10-32 brass machine screws, .5 inches long
to be drilled down the center with about a .95 size drill. The exact size is
not at all critical - I just want to pass some wires through the length of
the screw while still maintaining some structural integrity.

I would like 10 pieces now for prototyping, but will need about 600 per year
after that. If anyone is interested, please email me at
.

Thank you.

Mark

Is that a .95 mm drill ? 0.095 inch? # 95 ? (that would be one SMALL
drill!)

Be some special trick to drill through a # 10 screw with a drill that's
almost a full inch in diameter.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Tim Williams

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Be some special trick to drill through a # 10 screw with a drill that's
almost a full inch in diameter.

I just looked at it and kinda thought "huh" then thought he meant 95 thou
and kept reading through.. Not 'till it was pointed out did I notice his
actual number is almost an inch :^)!

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting

Gunner

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:08:31 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

I'm not a regular here, so please excuse me if this type of post is not
appropriate here.

I will be needing a quantity of 10-32 brass machine screws, .5 inches long
to be drilled down the center with about a .95 size drill. The exact size is
not at all critical - I just want to pass some wires through the length of
the screw while still maintaining some structural integrity.

I would like 10 pieces now for prototyping, but will need about 600 per year
after that. If anyone is interested, please email me at
.

Thank you.

Mark

It cant be done.

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).
The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On 19 Mar 2004 00:41:16 GMT, (JMartin957) wrote:

What is a .95 size drill, roughly?

John Martin

Just a "bit " under an inch. VBG
Karl Townsend

It cant be done.

When I worked for that large corporation, this was my specialty. The hard to
do stuff was easy, the impossible just takes a little longer.

Seriously, he just misstated the hole size. No big deal. He also said
whatever size will work is OK. I'd be glad to do this. Fist run time and
materials: $30/hr plus a few bucks for drills and parts.

Karl

Mark

Whoops, gotta watch those decimals. I meant .095 inches, of course, not
..950.

And thanks for all the replies - you guys are great.

Mark

"Mark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm not a regular here, so please excuse me if this type of post is not
appropriate here.

I will be needing a quantity of 10-32 brass machine screws, .5 inches long
to be drilled down the center with about a .95 size drill. The exact size

is
not at all critical - I just want to pass some wires through the length of
the screw while still maintaining some structural integrity.

I would like 10 pieces now for prototyping, but will need about 600 per

year
after that. If anyone is interested, please email me at
.

Thank you.

Mark

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:13:41 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

wrote:

I'm not a regular here, so please excuse me if this type of post is not
appropriate here.

I will be needing a quantity of 10-32 brass machine screws, .5 inches long
to be drilled down the center with about a .95 size drill. The exact size is
not at all critical - I just want to pass some wires through the length of
the screw while still maintaining some structural integrity.

I would like 10 pieces now for prototyping, but will need about 600 per year
after that. If anyone is interested, please email me at
.

Thank you.

Mark

It cant be done.

Let's see, a #10 screw has a nominal diameter of 0.190".
Marks wants a 0.950" hole in it.

Ayup, you're right, Gunner. It cain't be dood.

---
Is it time for your medication or mine?
http://diversify.com Custom Website Applications

JMartin957

Let's see, a #10 screw has a nominal diameter of 0.190".
Marks wants a 0.950" hole in it.

Ayup, you're right, Gunner. It cain't be dood.

---

C'mon, Larry, of course it can. As a matter of fact, I've attached some to
this message. They're right he

Since they are a bit tough to see, I should tell you that there are actually
610 of them. You are welcome to forward 600 of them to the original poster,
and I'll split with you whatever he decides is fair.

I ran the extra 10 so you'll have some to keep for yourself and to show to your
friends.

Some were drilled very slightly off center, but he didn't specify any
tolerances and they are close enough for me.

You'll note, of course, that these are silicon bronze rather than regular
brass. I used what I had handy. If he objects, have him supply the original
stock.

Tell him that on the next ones if he wants them reamed after drilling, the
price won't change. I always like to be thorough.

Waiting for my check,

John Martin
Gunner

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:25:42 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

Whoops, gotta watch those decimals. I meant .095 inches, of course, not
.950.

And thanks for all the replies - you guys are great.

Mark

Them decimal thingies are mighty important little critters. I make a
significant portion of my living repairing machine tools where somone
wanted to enter .90 and forgot the lil "."

Those 90" moves generally make all sorts of interesting noises when
done on a machine with 12" of travel G

Gunner

"Mark" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Robin S.

"Gunner" wrote in message
news

Them decimal thingies are mighty important little critters. I make a
significant portion of my living repairing machine tools where somone
wanted to enter .90 and forgot the lil "."

Those 90" moves generally make all sorts of interesting noises when
done on a machine with 12" of travel G

A millwright instructor at work was once in charge of ordering material at a
company back in Germany. They specified their steel by the kilogram, not
linear meter. He was calculating the required volume and missed a decimal.
Unfortunately, when dealing with volume, linear errors of 10 (one decimal)
become volumetric errors of 1000. He ended up ordering about a year's worth
of material (which drained his company's cash reserves for that year)
instead of a couple of weeks worth...

The call from the distributor informing him of a delay due to a mill run
being required to fill the order should have tipped him off....

Regards,

Robin

pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:00:05 GMT did not prevent Gunner
from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Them decimal thingies are mighty important little critters. I make a
significant portion of my living repairing machine tools where somone
wanted to enter .90 and forgot the lil "."

Those 90" moves generally make all sorts of interesting noises when
done on a machine with 12" of travel G

Heck, the 8 inch rapid move when there's only four inches left will do
that.

Broke the chuck and other stuff, to the tune of the company decided to
replace rather than repair. Now, if they could just get the old machine out
.... (shop was packed.)

tschus
pyotr
--