Robin S.

Default machining needed

"Gunner" wrote in message
news

Them decimal thingies are mighty important little critters. I make a
significant portion of my living repairing machine tools where somone
wanted to enter .90 and forgot the lil "."

Those 90" moves generally make all sorts of interesting noises when
done on a machine with 12" of travel G

A millwright instructor at work was once in charge of ordering material at a
company back in Germany. They specified their steel by the kilogram, not
linear meter. He was calculating the required volume and missed a decimal.
Unfortunately, when dealing with volume, linear errors of 10 (one decimal)
become volumetric errors of 1000. He ended up ordering about a year's worth
of material (which drained his company's cash reserves for that year)
instead of a couple of weeks worth...

The call from the distributor informing him of a delay due to a mill run
being required to fill the order should have tipped him off....

Regards,

Robin