Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tomcas

Default Help with centrifugal clutch

Camilo Ramos wrote:
hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches?

No, but the engagement rpms will most likely be too low for this engine.

I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

It should be OK but the engine itself is probably too small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Camilo Ramos

hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches? I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Sun, 07 May 2006 20:59:50 -0500, "Camilo Ramos"
wrote:

hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches? I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

If the gearing is proper so that your small engine will move the bike
then the small clutch will be OK. The stock clutch is made to be able
to transmit the engine power at a certain rpm and torque. The higher
the rpm the less torque it has to transmrit. Not only that, the faster
it spins will also make the clutch grab tighter. So make sure that the
engine will be running at the proper design RPM when powering the
bike.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches? I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

get one from a chainsaw....
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Camilo Ramos

On Tue, 09 May 2006 01:16:01 +0000, wrote:

hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches? I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

get one from a chainsaw....
Ken.

Today I went to the area in my town where chainsaw and trimmer shops are.
There at last a guy showed me the clutch from a Stihl chainsaw.That clutch
seems adecuate but it would take some hacking.
Do chainsaw clutches have metal shoes as a norm? And are metal shoes superior
to fiber lined ones?
BTW, why are trimmer spares so expensive? One would think they are gold
plated or something.

Camilo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Today I went to the area in my town where chainsaw and trimmer shops are.
There at last a guy showed me the clutch from a Stihl chainsaw.That clutch
seems adecuate but it would take some hacking.
Do chainsaw clutches have metal shoes as a norm? And are metal shoes superior
to fiber lined ones?
BTW, why are trimmer spares so expensive? One would think they are gold
plated or something.

Every chainsaw clutch I have ever seen has had metal shoes . They stand
up very well in commercial chain saws . Metal shoes in the commercial
trimmers as well but they seem not to last long . As to price , well no
competition in the parts market keeps the prices high I would guess . Luck
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 08 May 2006 23:26:34 -0500, "Camilo Ramos"
wrote:

[...]

Chainaw clutches are not supposed to slip much. They basically act
like a dog clutch in that once they start to engage there is no
slipping. This just lets the engine idle without having the chain
spinning. The clutch in a mini-bike or go cart will need to slip more
because of the much higher mass that needs to be accelerated and the
lower relative torque of the engine. If a chainsaw clutch slips much
they overheat in a hurry.
ERS