Default Atlas Lathe feed screw clutch adjustment

I have a 12" Atlas Lathe with the slip clutch on the feed screw. The
slip on the clutch is adjusted by turning a round sleeve with a spanner
hole in it.

Is there a tool made to perform this adjustment? Anybody knows who
sells this tool?

To date, I've been using Vicegrip pliers to tighten the clutch, which
is taking its toll. I'd very much like to adjust the slippage by using
the proper method.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Harry C.

Mike Henry

Clausing may sell one. They merged with Atlas quite a few years ago and
still have many spare parts. Ask for Jolene Olds if you call.

http://www.clausing-industrial.com/service-std.htm

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 12" Atlas Lathe with the slip clutch on the feed screw. The
slip on the clutch is adjusted by turning a round sleeve with a spanner
hole in it.

Is there a tool made to perform this adjustment? Anybody knows who
sells this tool?

To date, I've been using Vicegrip pliers to tighten the clutch, which
is taking its toll. I'd very much like to adjust the slippage by using
the proper method.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Harry C.

Rex B

I have a 12" Atlas Lathe with the slip clutch on the feed screw. The
slip on the clutch is adjusted by turning a round sleeve with a spanner
hole in it.

Is there a tool made to perform this adjustment? Anybody knows who
sells this tool?

To date, I've been using Vicegrip pliers to tighten the clutch, which
is taking its toll. I'd very much like to adjust the slippage by using
the proper method.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Harry C.

Go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_...guid=122382924

This is a Yahoo group for your lathe.
You will have to register and Join This Group, but it's painless and
free. Then go to the Files section, and find Atlas QC Gearbox.pdf.
it's a 1700 KB download that shows how to change from change gears to a
QC box. On page 3 are detailed instructions for adjusting that clutch.

hope that helps.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Many thanks for that lead....

I just spoke with Jolene and all that she had available were the same
instructions that I have for the lathe. That is, to use a 1/8" rod in
the adjustment hole to torque the proper tension. This simply does not
do the job. No special tool from Clausing is available for the purpose.

That failing, I'm just going to have to mic the diameter of a
adjustment sleeve and see if I can find someone offering a spanner of
the appropriate diameter with a 1/8" pin.

Perhaps I'm a perfectionist, but it seriously troubles me to use
something like Vicegip pliets on so fine a piece of metalworking
machinery, as I'd like to leave the machine in the same or better
condition than I received it.

Harry C.

Rex B

That failing, I'm just going to have to mic the diameter of a
adjustment sleeve and see if I can find someone offering a spanner of
the appropriate diameter with a 1/8" pin.

You have a lathe, so build one.

Turn a thickwall tube ring with an ID equal to the OD of the clutch sleeve
Drill a 1/8" radial hole centered 3/16" from the edge
(optional) Drill a 2nd hole about 70 degrees away for the handle.
Part it off at 1/4
Remove the larger part of the ring adjacent to your two holes.
Insert a pin in one hole, handle in the other. Weld, braze or silver
solder. If you don't have a welder, you will have to engineer a solid
attachment for the handle
Final dimensions will probably vary, but that's the general idea

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Rex B, VeeGee wrote:
I made a tool from an old six inch adjustable wrench and a 1/8" dia. Rod.
Works great. McMaster Carr sells one with a pin dia. Of 5/32."

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...nt-261880-.htm