Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Camilo Ramos

Default Help with centrifugal clutch

On Tue, 09 May 2006 01:16:01 +0000, wrote:

hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches? I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

get one from a chainsaw....
Ken.

Today I went to the area in my town where chainsaw and trimmer shops are.
There at last a guy showed me the clutch from a Stihl chainsaw.That clutch
seems adecuate but it would take some hacking.
Do chainsaw clutches have metal shoes as a norm? And are metal shoes superior
to fiber lined ones?
BTW, why are trimmer spares so expensive? One would think they are gold
plated or something.

Camilo