Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Help with centrifugal clutch

On Sun, 07 May 2006 20:59:50 -0500, "Camilo Ramos"
wrote:

hello all

I need to buy a centrifugal clutch for motorizing my bike. The engine is a
31cc weedeater (yes I know those are not the best for this). My doubt
is that the clutches commonly available (mainly Comet, 4 inches) usually are rated
rated 2.5 to 6 HP. I guess my engine can put about 1 HP., perhaps 1.5 HP at
most. Is the engine underpowered for these clutches? I could get a trimmer
clutch but then the clutch seem to be small for the task.

Thanks in advance

Camilo

If the gearing is proper so that your small engine will move the bike
then the small clutch will be OK. The stock clutch is made to be able
to transmit the engine power at a certain rpm and torque. The higher
the rpm the less torque it has to transmrit. Not only that, the faster
it spins will also make the clutch grab tighter. So make sure that the
engine will be running at the proper design RPM when powering the
bike.
ERS