Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

Default Bought a "new" transformer on ebay... here's what I got

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Ignoramus22440 writes:

It was described as "new, never used"

http://www.truetex.com/ebayfraud.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

On Fri, 05 May 2006 20:33:02 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:11:22 GMT, the renowned Ignoramus22440
wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Looks like it was shipped with totally inadequate packaging (at some
point, maybe not to you). Might still work okay.

It was actually bubblewrapped. I just tested this transformer, it
actually does work. The damage, though, was unlikely to occur in
shipping. The seller has a little under 100, all positive feedback.

I think that I will simply not leave any feedback for him.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Looks like it was shipped with totally inadequate packaging (at some
point, maybe not to you). Might still work okay.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:11:22 GMT, Ignoramus22440
wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

============
It may not have been used [as a transformer]

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Looks like it was shipped with totally inadequate packaging (at some
point, maybe not to you). Might still work okay.

It was actually bubblewrapped. I just tested this transformer, it
actually does work. The damage, though, was unlikely to occur in
shipping. The seller has a little under 100, all positive feedback.

I think that I will simply not leave any feedback for him.

Even bubblewrapped fairly thickly such a heavy thing could punch through
the packaging to damage itself on something hard. Were I to ship
something like that I'd bolster it with blocks of styrofoam, cardboard
or even wood -- not bubblewrap.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Looks like it was shipped with totally inadequate packaging (at some
point, maybe not to you). Might still work okay.

It was actually bubblewrapped. I just tested this transformer, it
actually does work. The damage, though, was unlikely to occur in
shipping. The seller has a little under 100, all positive feedback.

I think that I will simply not leave any feedback for him.

Even bubblewrapped fairly thickly such a heavy thing could punch through
the packaging to damage itself on something hard. Were I to ship
something like that I'd bolster it with blocks of styrofoam, cardboard
or even wood -- not bubblewrap.

Check the picture, there is a piece that broke off. It was
not in the package.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

Iggy, I don't see anything in your original post, or in any of your
going to get you anything--why not ask him for part of your money back--say
half. I know someone who received broken merchandise and actually got a
full refund.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:24:26 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:
Iggy, I don't see anything in your original post, or in any of your
going to get you anything--why not ask him for part of your money back--say
half. I know someone who received broken merchandise and actually got a
full refund.

I did write him, and he replied by saying that he would make it right
and asked for a picture. I did send him a picture, but I do not want
to pursue getting a refund on something that works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

============
It may not have been used [as a transformer]

As a football, maybe.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
reader

wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Looks like it was shipped with totally inadequate packaging (at some
point, maybe not to you). Might still work okay.

It was actually bubblewrapped. I just tested this transformer, it
actually does work. The damage, though, was unlikely to occur in
shipping. The seller has a little under 100, all positive feedback.

I think that I will simply not leave any feedback for him.

I must ask the obvious . . Did you contact the seller and explain the
situation?
The sellers response was?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan

Richard J Kinch wrote:

http://www.truetex.com/ebayfraud.htm

Enjoyed that - thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Hate to mention that 'unused' doesn't mean perfect condition.

Consider startup or major company - crunch that production line .... scrap the inventory.

The inventory is sold in large containers - not off the shelves. So transformers
and transistors might get into the same bucket. Maybe a big transformer was dumped in
on top or just the other 100...

What really matters is if it will mount, and function. Can it be used.

If you wanted new in a box - buy NIB.

Martin
[ shopped in many a surplus shop of electrical and electronic and hum - mechanical and machine ]
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:24:26 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

Iggy, I don't see anything in your original post, or in any of your
going to get you anything--why not ask him for part of your money back--say
half. I know someone who received broken merchandise and actually got a
full refund.

I did write him, and he replied by saying that he would make it right
and asked for a picture. I did send him a picture, but I do not want
to pursue getting a refund on something that works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Main

I used to get lots of bad shipments (10-20%) from ebay purchases and so
now I nicely warn the seller when I pay that I've had bad experiences
in the past and that I'll give bad feedback on poorly packed items. So
far it's worked for my last 300 purchases, I don't get poorly packed
items anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Ignoramus22440" wrote: I did write him, and he replied by saying that he
would make it right and asked for a picture. I did send him a picture, but I
do not want to pursue getting a refund on something that works.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So what was the point of your original post? You have elicited eleven
helpful sincere responses so far, over a non-problem. You are what I would
characterize as a "soft-core troll."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:11:22 GMT, Ignoramus22440 wrote:
Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received: http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

OK, other than "dusty and incompetantly packed for shipping", what am I
not seeing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:24:38 GMT, Ignoramus22440 wrote:

It was actually bubblewrapped. I just tested this transformer, it
actually does work. The damage, though, was unlikely to occur in
shipping. The seller has a little under 100, all positive feedback.
I think that I will simply not leave any feedback for him.

I'd send him pictures and ask what he can do for you, and advise him
that heavy things don't ship well with just bubblewrap. His responses
will tell you if he needs no, neutral, or negative feedback. I'd be
inclined to leave a neutral, myself. I save neg for special situations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:38:28 GMT, Ignoramus22440 wrote:

I did write him, and he replied by saying that he would make it right
and asked for a picture. I did send him a picture, but I do not want
to pursue getting a refund on something that works.

Sounds like positive feedback then - "Problem with item but seller made
it right" type thing (not like anyone reads positive feedback anyway).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 06 May 2006 15:32:06 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus22440" wrote: I did write him, and he replied by saying that he
would make it right and asked for a picture. I did send him a picture, but I
do not want to pursue getting a refund on something that works.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So what was the point of your original post? You have elicited eleven
helpful sincere responses so far, over a non-problem. You are what I would
characterize as a "soft-core troll."

There's this concept called "time stamps", Leo. Look into it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Why do people just post links without telling us what they're
about?

Richard J Kinch wrote:

http://www.truetex.com/ebayfraud.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ignoramus22440 writes:

It was described as "new, never used"

http://www.truetex.com/ebayfraud.htm

Thank you. A very interesting post, however this....:

An AOL email address is always a risk factor for problems. So is email
containing bad spelling, grammatical errors, or poor techniques like
ill-formed paragraphs or HTML-only settings. People who don't "get it"
with email or the English language are likely not to have "gotten it"
with eBay, either.

......doesn't fit with the rest, and especially this last part.....:

People who don't "get it" with email or the English language are
likely not to have "gotten it" with eBay, either

......seems quite uncalled for and appears to show a possible racial (or
another type) of bias I doubt you could support with facts. I think I
know where you're comming from, but take a moment to peruse the
electronics and jewelry sellers (as an example) located in Hong Kong
and Japan, as well as their feedback scores which would tend to refute
your statement.

Other than that I enjoyed your comments highly. Thank you again.

dennis
in nca (and using free aol)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Bought a very nice transformer on ebay, with several primary taps, and
several useful secondaries like 110v, 24v, 48V etc. It was described
as "new, never used".

Here's what I received:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Now we know where all that stuff from New Orleans is going.

Gunner, who still hasnt received the band saw blades he paid for well
over a month ago, that are going to various members here.
No communications from the seller, though he keeps putting stuff up
for sale.

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 05 May 2006 23:40:58 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Hate to mention that 'unused' doesn't mean perfect condition.

Consider startup or major company - crunch that production line .... scrap the inventory.

The inventory is sold in large containers - not off the shelves. So transformers
and transistors might get into the same bucket. Maybe a big transformer was dumped in
on top or just the other 100...

What really matters is if it will mount, and function. Can it be used.

If you wanted new in a box - buy NIB.

Martin
[ shopped in many a surplus shop of electrical and electronic and hum - mechanical and machine ]
Martin Eastburn

Martin has also been into my Stacks O Stuff..most of it is NOS..but
little of it is pretty anymore..just fully functional

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:35:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bad-xfmr.jpg

Now we know where all that stuff from New Orleans is going.

I wonder if everyone buying things from the South is detoxifying them
upon receipt...

Gunner, who still hasnt received the band saw blades he paid for well
over a month ago, that are going to various members here.
No communications from the seller, though he keeps putting stuff up
for sale.

If you haven't already filed a complaint with Ebay, do so today. They
can't help you if you don't complain. And always include your phone
number in emails to the slow-delivering sellers so they can call you.
Some idiots try to tell you that your email address is no good, so the
phone number will bypass that fake ploy.

---
Is it time for your medication or mine?
http://diversify.com Custom Website Applications
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Sun, 07 May 2006 01:41:12 GMT, Ignoramus21474 wrote:
Everything resolved very well. He offered me a half refund, I said
that I would suggest a 1/3 refund, and that was it. He is a good guy,
maybe he was not paying attention. I left him good feedback. I doubt
that he would get even half of what he sold it for, if the transformer
was sold in the shape that it was in.

There ya go. Positive feedback then, I assume? "Problem with item,
seller made good on it"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30985

On 8 May 2006 02:10:17 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Sun, 07 May 2006 01:41:12 GMT, Ignoramus21474 wrote:
Everything resolved very well. He offered me a half refund, I said
that I would suggest a 1/3 refund, and that was it. He is a good guy,
maybe he was not paying attention. I left him good feedback. I doubt
that he would get even half of what he sold it for, if the transformer
was sold in the shape that it was in.

There ya go. Positive feedback then, I assume? "Problem with item,
seller made good on it"

Yes, I left him very positive feedback.