Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron from Oz

Default herbert box tool

hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.
thanks .
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ron from Oz wrote:
hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.
thanks .
Ron

Ron,basically you turn a short length to the diameter you want using a
conventional tool.Then set your box turner over it and adjust the
rollers until they are just touching,you should be able to stop them
turning with your finger,be careful you dont get your finger under the
roller.To set the tool it depends on whether the tool is mounted
conventionally or at a tangent.Before turning the diameter with the box
tool you should put a chamfer on the nose of the bar.Ward did a really
good book for setting and using tooling on capstan lathes and this
would apply to the Herbert as well.There was one on Ebay.co.uk if it`s
gone Alec at Budget Machinery in England should be able to do you a
copy.Email me for his address.Incidentally I threw mountains of No.5
tooling in the skip a few months ago.
regards,|Mark.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Sehr

Two ways to set box tool , one is to set rollers on OD of stock. Then set
tool to dia you want .
This way set rollers ahead of tool. I used to set them ahead about .200 in
front of tool.
In fact if you are skilled at tool grinding you can face and chamfer parts
by having rollers set
this way with a box tool.

Other way is you can turn stock to dia you want then set rollers to size
behind cutting edge of tool
that is why it works best with chamfer on stock Chamfer lets cutter and
rollers engage before full load
of cut is engaged.

You should use flood coolent and a chip breaker behind cutting edge . I
worked in a shop one time
where the chip snaked across the shop floor out the door and across a wide
street without breaking.

I think first way is easier if you have never done it before. As you can
watch the chip and cutting edge.

And someone made an insert tool for box tools. But to find one you will
probably have to talk to an
old timer at a carbide company.

Jim
"Ron from Oz" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.
thanks .
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On 19 Apr 2006 23:39:29 -0700, "Ron from Oz"
wrote:

hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.
thanks .
Ron

As they say at the nudist colony, "bare with me...." :)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron from Oz

thanks. the weekend is here and i will start to tinker

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

"Ron from Oz" wrote in
oups.com:

hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.

Ron,

While not specific to Herbert, there is a wealth of information on a
variety of screw machine and turret lathe type tooling he

http://www.sommatool.com/papers.asp

Enjoy.

--

Dan

Quid Aere Perennius

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM