Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Sehr

Default herbert box tool

Two ways to set box tool , one is to set rollers on OD of stock. Then set
tool to dia you want .
This way set rollers ahead of tool. I used to set them ahead about .200 in
front of tool.
In fact if you are skilled at tool grinding you can face and chamfer parts
by having rollers set
this way with a box tool.

Other way is you can turn stock to dia you want then set rollers to size
behind cutting edge of tool
that is why it works best with chamfer on stock Chamfer lets cutter and
rollers engage before full load
of cut is engaged.

You should use flood coolent and a chip breaker behind cutting edge . I
worked in a shop one time
where the chip snaked across the shop floor out the door and across a wide
street without breaking.

I think first way is easier if you have never done it before. As you can
watch the chip and cutting edge.

And someone made an insert tool for box tools. But to find one you will
probably have to talk to an
old timer at a carbide company.

Jim
"Ron from Oz" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.
thanks .
Ron