Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default herbert box tool

Ron from Oz wrote:
hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated
what has been asked before.
I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories.
I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am
needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup
procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look
quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so
grinding is relatively new to me.
thanks .
Ron

Ron,basically you turn a short length to the diameter you want using a
conventional tool.Then set your box turner over it and adjust the
rollers until they are just touching,you should be able to stop them
turning with your finger,be careful you dont get your finger under the
roller.To set the tool it depends on whether the tool is mounted
conventionally or at a tangent.Before turning the diameter with the box
tool you should put a chamfer on the nose of the bar.Ward did a really
good book for setting and using tooling on capstan lathes and this
would apply to the Herbert as well.There was one on Ebay.co.uk if it`s
gone Alec at Budget Machinery in England should be able to do you a
copy.Email me for his address.Incidentally I threw mountains of No.5
tooling in the skip a few months ago.
regards,|Mark.