Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Puzzlenut adventures

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Great report, Don. It should be required reading in wannabee machinist
courses.

Bob (usu. a fan) Swinney
"Don Foreman" wrote in message
Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Don Foreman wrote:
Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Another great pictorial, Don. But I just gotta ask, since I know you to
be a welding artiste, did you for a moment consider mig welding hex nuts
to the tops of those anti-theft nuts?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:09:06 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Another great pictorial, Don. But I just gotta ask, since I know you to
be a welding artiste, did you for a moment consider mig welding hex nuts
to the tops of those anti-theft nuts?

Jeff

I did. I didn't want to risk penetrating thru and welding the
puzzlenut to the stud. Not likely, but very bad if it happens. A
wimpy weld wouldn't do because those nuts are on there pretty tight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

I did. I didn't want to risk penetrating thru and welding the
puzzlenut to the stud. Not likely, but very bad if it happens. A
wimpy weld wouldn't do because those nuts are on there pretty tight.

I like the way you said it in your web site

"fear of
penetrating thru the puzzlenut and welding it to the stud -- that would be a
major eau chitte."

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Karl,

Voice of experience?

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message nk.net...
I did. I didn't want to risk penetrating thru and welding the
puzzlenut to the stud. Not likely, but very bad if it happens. A
wimpy weld wouldn't do because those nuts are on there pretty tight.

I like the way you said it in your web site

"fear of
penetrating thru the puzzlenut and welding it to the stud -- that would be
a major eau chitte."

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Karl Townsend wrote:

I like the way you said it in your web site

"fear of
penetrating thru the puzzlenut and welding it to the stud -- that would be a
major eau chitte."

Well I breezed right by that line...

Arggh, I guess it's time to fall on my sword.

****************************

Speaking of taking things for granted, SWMBO and I work together these
days and usually commute in one car if we both don't have jaunts away
from the office that day.

Yesterday afternoon I fulfilled a long standing promise to myself that
someday, before I met my maker, I'd get a set of ham radio operator
license plates for my car. I picked them up at the Registry of Motor
Vehicles, screwed them on and stood back to admire the "W1/BSV" on my
buggy. (The "/" is a little jagged lightening bolt symbol they put on
ham radio operator plates here in Taxachusetts.)

I pointed the new plates out to wifey when we got in the car to go home
yesterday. As expected, she was duly unimpressed.

Around noon today she asked me where in the parking lot I'd left the car
and rushed out of the office running late (what's new) for a dentist
appointment. She came pounding back in a couple of minutes later asking
me again where the car was. You can guess the rest... She was back ten
minutes after that in a real lather saying that my car must have been
stolen.

I walked her out to the parking lot and pointed to my car, within sight
of the office door. She'd forgotten about the license plate change and
must have run past the back end of my car five or six times looking for
a newish looking "silver car" with the old plate numbers on it. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker

Don Foreman wrote:
Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Great narrative Don. What ingenuity. I am duly impressed, having
chiseled and ground off more than my fair share of ******* nuts over the
last 20 years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Voice of experience?

A fella I knew did one better. Couldn't get the bolt off the trailer hitch
so he took the torch out. The car fire (4 year old Cadillac) almost burnt
the house down.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:42:04 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Good job and all that, but professional auto parts houses sell a
socket just for such an occasion- it has a taper fit and works a
treat.

Of course, that does take all the fun out of it...

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

In article , Don Foreman
wrote:

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Nice job. Now drop those things into the trash so it won't happen
again. Almost had to do the same thing myself until I remembered
exactly where I'd tucked the socket last time I had to change a wheel
on my Subaru.

PDW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Good job and all that, but professional auto parts houses sell a
socket just for such an occasion- it has a taper fit and works a
treat.

Of course, that does take all the fun out of it...

-Carl

I thought there must be an available solution, but I was unable to
find it after an hour of websurfing and phonecalls, so I cut to the
chase. Perhaps I should have asked here first, oh well,,,

I figure it took me about 2 hours spread over 3 days to get the
bloody nuts off. Cost zero because I had everything needed for my
approach at hand. Old puzzlenuts are now off, good spare now
mounted as LH road wheel, trailer parked in boat tent, leaker ready
to go to be fixed tomorrow and thence to spare position, I'll be gone
fishin' before the lilacs bloom and fishin' starts getting good in
these parts.

Wonder why neither Tires Plus nor John's Auto Salvage have discovered
the professional taper-fit socket.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:02:00 +0100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman
wrote:

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Nice job. Now drop those things into the trash so it won't happen
again. Almost had to do the same thing myself until I remembered
exactly where I'd tucked the socket last time I had to change a wheel
on my Subaru.

PDW

Roger that!

New puzzlenuts with key on order. I don't misplace keys, I merely
had to replicate one I never had. The new key will be stowed where
the old key should have been but wasn't because I never had it.

The shop-made key worked very well, did the job, but the new
puzzlenuts will have the slip collars that I chiseled off the old
ones.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:02:00 +0100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman
wrote:

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Nice job. Now drop those things into the trash so it won't happen
again. Almost had to do the same thing myself until I remembered
exactly where I'd tucked the socket last time I had to change a wheel
on my Subaru.

PDW

Roger that!

New puzzlenuts with key on order. I don't misplace keys, I merely
had to replicate one I never had. The new key will be stowed where
the old key should have been but wasn't because I never had it.

The shop-made key worked very well, did the job, but the new
puzzlenuts will have the slip collars that I chiseled off the old
ones.

Ain't it great to be able to enjoy your retirement by doing stuff like that?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:31:40 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:02:00 +0100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman
wrote:

Warning: metal content.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Nice job. Now drop those things into the trash so it won't happen
again. Almost had to do the same thing myself until I remembered
exactly where I'd tucked the socket last time I had to change a wheel
on my Subaru.

PDW

Roger that!

New puzzlenuts with key on order. I don't misplace keys, I merely
had to replicate one I never had. The new key will be stowed where
the old key should have been but wasn't because I never had it.

The shop-made key worked very well, did the job, but the new
puzzlenuts will have the slip collars that I chiseled off the old
ones.

Ain't it great to be able to enjoy your retirement by doing stuff like that?

Jeff

Yup!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:
Warning: metal content. See
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/puzzlenut/

Great narrative Don. What ingenuity. I am duly impressed, having chiseled
and ground off more than my fair share of ******* nuts over the last 20
years.

I wonder if those special sockets Sears sells for removing rounded nuts and
bolts would have worked? Sort of like an inside out easyout. Or one of
those "fits anything" sockets that ate just a bunch of spring loaded rods?
I like your way better Though it is a hard choice between "justifying"
the tools ya have or "justifying" the purchase of some new and different
tools

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:26:54 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Wonder why neither Tires Plus nor John's Auto Salvage have discovered
the professional taper-fit socket.

That is a puzzle- salvage guys usually know all the tricks to defeat
anti-theft devices.
Might be a local-law thing. Here (upstate NY) a pro mechanic can buy
an astounding varietyof what would be called 'burglary tools' right
off of the tool truck.

-Carl