Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Default Ford emblem vectorised. Anyone??

Hi people,

My friend is building a huge truck and wants me to machine up a very
large version of the Ford oval and name. I have the cnc machines to do
it, but so far all I have is a bumper sticker to start with that is
about 1/3 the size I needs. He wants it 14" wide.

Anyone know of an existing vectorized or dxf copy of the logo?

Next issue, does anyone know of a free raster to vector program I can
use if I have to scan the logo and go from there.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On 11 Apr 2006 16:36:29 -0700, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi people,

My friend is building a huge truck and wants me to machine up a very
large version of the Ford oval and name. I have the cnc machines to do
it, but so far all I have is a bumper sticker to start with that is
about 1/3 the size I needs. He wants it 14" wide.

Anyone know of an existing vectorized or dxf copy of the logo?

Next issue, does anyone know of a free raster to vector program I can
use if I have to scan the logo and go from there.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Win topo is freeware that will do it. If that doesn't work for you I
can use BobArt to vectorize an emailed picture or a bitmap and email
you the vector file. Then you can massage it and make the G code from
it. If you do email me a file please make sure the picture or scanned
picture is sharp. If the edges are fuzzy the vector file will have
fuzzy edges you will need to sharpen up.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Eric,

I will give win topo a try. Failing that I will accept your very
generous offer. Very much appreciated. I have a window sticker that is
very sharp but I will have to peel of the backing sheet and stick it to
the glass of the scanner. I sure hope it is not a permanent adhesive.
LOL

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

Maybe it could be stuck on stretched saran wrap instead of directly to the
glass and not have to find out whether it's hard to remove.

StaticsJason

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Eric,

I will give win topo a try. Failing that I will accept your very
generous offer. Very much appreciated. I have a window sticker that is
very sharp but I will have to peel of the backing sheet and stick it to
the glass of the scanner. I sure hope it is not a permanent adhesive.
LOL

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 11 Apr 2006 17:29:19 -0700, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Thanks Eric,

I will give win topo a try. Failing that I will accept your very
generous offer. Very much appreciated. I have a window sticker that is
very sharp but I will have to peel of the backing sheet and stick it to
the glass of the scanner. I sure hope it is not a permanent adhesive.
LOL

Dave

Stretch Saran wrap or something equally thin and transparent over a
box, then put on your sticker. Trim and you are done.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fenrir Enterprises

wrote:

Hi people,

My friend is building a huge truck and wants me to machine up a very
large version of the Ford oval and name. I have the cnc machines to do
it, but so far all I have is a bumper sticker to start with that is
about 1/3 the size I needs. He wants it 14" wide.

Anyone know of an existing vectorized or dxf copy of the logo?

Next issue, does anyone know of a free raster to vector program I can
use if I have to scan the logo and go from there.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

This should work for you:

http://www.logotypes.ru/list_e.asp?cat=F&page=4

You should also check out the Ford website. Companies often have their
logos in various formats for download for dealers, etc, to use for
advertising.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks, I now have plenty of logos I am doing the tedious toolpath.
Damn this friend is gonna owe me bigtime. grin

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On 13 Apr 2006 11:56:57 -0700, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Thanks, I now have plenty of logos I am doing the tedious toolpath.
Damn this friend is gonna owe me bigtime. grin

Dave

Maybe you should have just asked for the toolthpath. BobCad takes
about one second on my computer to generate 4000+ lines of G code from
a scanned picture. And neither BobCad or my computer are anything
fancy.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Hi Eric,

Now that's dejavue. grin I am at about 20 hours into it using bobcad
17 and only 1/3rd through it. I decided to see if I could throw myself
on someone's mercy for the toolpath drawn on my dxf. I can generate the
code from that.

Part of the problem is that some of the squiggly bits require 1/8"
cutter and the other 1/4" cutter. My version of bc is pretty crude at
doing it. It makes a good stab at it but the manual clean up is killing
me as it is almost entirely made up of short straight lines rather than
arcs. It (bc) will do a rough pass on the main island (Ford) portion
but the inner loops and fine stuff are ignored.

Care to give it a try? I can attach the dxf for the 14.2" wide logo to
an email.

Thanks in advance if you care to give it a shot.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On 20 Apr 2006 09:55:36 -0700, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi Eric,

Now that's dejavue. grin I am at about 20 hours into it using bobcad
17 and only 1/3rd through it. I decided to see if I could throw myself
on someone's mercy for the toolpath drawn on my dxf. I can generate the
code from that.

Part of the problem is that some of the squiggly bits require 1/8"
cutter and the other 1/4" cutter. My version of bc is pretty crude at
doing it. It makes a good stab at it but the manual clean up is killing
me as it is almost entirely made up of short straight lines rather than
arcs. It (bc) will do a rough pass on the main island (Ford) portion
but the inner loops and fine stuff are ignored.

Care to give it a try? I can attach the dxf for the 14.2" wide logo to
an email.

Thanks in advance if you care to give it a shot.

Hi Dave,

Probably kind of late, but have you looked at the print to
plotter project George McDuffee was working on?

See:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...ab1 8d9fd3efc

and

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...31f cb064537b

I think this might do what you want too (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Leon, but I am not sure how well that would work for this. Also
I can't find a file converter for JPG to HPGL but still looking.
Thankls for the tip though

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On 20 Apr 2006 12:04:37 -0700, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Thanks Leon, but I am not sure how well that would work for this. Also
I can't find a file converter for JPG to HPGL but still looking.
Thankls for the tip though

Hi Dave,

I think there is a link to a print driver on one of the
pages I mentioned. You shouldn't need the printer itself,
just the windows driver for an old plotter (pen style). I
believe what you do is load the jpg in whatever favorite
program you have and then via the normal print function,
tick the "Print to file" box. That should save it as a file
in the plotter format needed. The simpler the drawing used
the better your results will be.

I do this all the time with an HP Color LaserJet PS driver.
I don't have the printer, but it lets me save a postscript
file that can be loaded in Ghostview for instance.

Of course I'm not sure if this will help you out... I
remember George wanting a quick and easy way to generate G
code via a pseudo printout.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Leon,

I'll give it a try. I have installed HP2xx an so far so good.

Dave