Roger Hull

Default leadscrew repair ?

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

jim rozen

In article t, Roger Hull
says...

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Errol G. detailed just such a repair for one of his schools
south bend machines. They just silver soldered in a section
of acme threaded rod in place of the worn lead screw, and
threaded up a new bronze nut.

He did detail the process on his web site for the school IIRC.

Jim

please reply to:

Errol Groff

That article is still online at

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...rew_repair.htm

Any questions feel free to get in touch.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:29:25 -0800, Roger Hull
wrote:

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Roger Hull

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:29:25 -0800, Roger Hull wrote
(in message t):

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

I should add the screw is hollow with internal splines and, as best I can
measure it it is 5/8-10 Left Hand Acme threads. I lack the skill or equipment
to reproduce the internal splines.

Thanks again.

Mark Rand

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:29:25 -0800, Roger Hull wrote:

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Grind up an acme (20 deg) tool and turn up a new one.

Mark Rand
RTFM

jim rozen

In article t, Roger Hull
says...

I should add the screw is hollow with internal splines and, as best I can
measure it it is 5/8-10 Left Hand Acme threads. I lack the skill or equipment
to reproduce the internal splines.

Hmm. Turn the old thread off the splined area, and bore out
the end of the screw you bought. Then silver solder the
splines in place?

Liberal use of stop-off suggested!

Jim

please reply to:

geoff merryweather

wrote:

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

My father in law had the same problemon his Taiwan lathe (they used
free machining steel). Got a piece of 4140 precision acme rod from
either MSC or McMaster-Carr. Not to badly priced. Cut off the old
handle and welded on the threaded rod section in place of the worn
piece. Works well andhave enough to do it twice more!

Geoffm
Vince Iorio

Default leadscrew repair ? What material to use? or where do you buyacme rod.

I'm faced with a similar repair, though I don't have the spline issue to
deal with. I can make a new screw if I had could get the right
precision acme threaded rod. Does any one know where to get 9/16"-8 LH
acme threaded rod? And a matching tap?

If I can not get it, I can cut a new leadscrew from scratch, but was
wondering what type of material was original used. The lathe is a
Cincinnati Tray-Top, about 1952 vintage. My first guess would be to
use preharden 4140.

Thanks

Vince

Mark Rand wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:29:25 -0800, Roger Hull wrote:

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Grind up an acme (20 deg) tool and turn up a new one.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Roger Hull

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:46:50 -0800, Vince Iorio wrote
(in message ):

I'm faced with a similar repair, though I don't have the spline issue to
deal with. I can make a new screw if I had could get the right
precision acme threaded rod. Does any one know where to get 9/16"-8 LH
acme threaded rod? And a matching tap?

I ordered LH acme threaded rod from MSC on the 'net. I bet they have taps
also.

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Tom Wait

I caught this thread late.
I have the same lathe with the same problem. The leadscrew looks awful, but
back lash is only about .025" and doesn't get much better in the middle of
the cross slide travel. This indicates to me the nut is the worst part. I've
been contemplating buying a replacement,but now that I know the cost that
option is out. Maybe mine is good enough for your needs? I buy new, you buy
my old one, we both upgrade for less cost than new.
I just now thought of this, cut off the end of the old one to get the
splines, silver solder it into a piece of heavy wall tubing, cut a new
thread on the tube/pipe to match a new nut, mill the flat, and thread the
end for the crank on the other end and voila new part for less than new
cost. I don't think you need the spline to be the full length of the hole in
the screw, one or two inches in the end should be enough. I have an old
steering shaft from a Ford truck that is hollow and might fill the bill for
raw material. I gotta go try and find it. Let me know what you do and how it
works out.
Tom
s.net...