Tom Wait

Default leadscrew repair ?

I caught this thread late.
I have the same lathe with the same problem. The leadscrew looks awful, but
back lash is only about .025" and doesn't get much better in the middle of
the cross slide travel. This indicates to me the nut is the worst part. I've
been contemplating buying a replacement,but now that I know the cost that
option is out. Maybe mine is good enough for your needs? I buy new, you buy
my old one, we both upgrade for less cost than new.
I just now thought of this, cut off the end of the old one to get the
splines, silver solder it into a piece of heavy wall tubing, cut a new
thread on the tube/pipe to match a new nut, mill the flat, and thread the
end for the crank on the other end and voila new part for less than new
cost. I don't think you need the spline to be the full length of the hole in
the screw, one or two inches in the end should be enough. I have an old
steering shaft from a Ford truck that is hollow and might fill the bill for
raw material. I gotta go try and find it. Let me know what you do and how it
works out.
Tom
"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants

$405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way

repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer