Alan Raisanen

Default leadscrew repair ?

Splines are probably best for long-term operation, but I bet it would work
OK with a square shaft. Silver solder in a pre-cut square hole?

"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:29:25 -0800, Roger Hull wrote
(in message t):

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the

point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants

$405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way

repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy

reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

I should add the screw is hollow with internal splines and, as best I can
measure it it is 5/8-10 Left Hand Acme threads. I lack the skill or

equipment
to reproduce the internal splines.

Thanks again.