jim rozen

Default leadscrew repair ?

In article t, Roger Hull
says...

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point
the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405
for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper
attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to
repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Errol G. detailed just such a repair for one of his schools
south bend machines. They just silver soldered in a section
of acme threaded rod in place of the worn lead screw, and
threaded up a new bronze nut.

He did detail the process on his web site for the school IIRC.

Jim

please reply to: