Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mr. Bla

Default hydraulic hose tool question

Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building a
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

"Mr. Bla" wrote:

Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building a
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

They are simply not worth doing yourself since numerous places from auto
parts stores to the various Parker stores make custom hydraulic hoses at
low cost.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:02:42 -0500, "Mr. Bla" wrote:

Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building a
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

use aircraft parts. they screw together and can be done in a vice with
a spanner.
you can have a look at these in the online catalogs at aircraft spruce
and specialty or at wicks. look under hose fittings.
the brands are stratoflex and aeroquip.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

I really do not understand your concern here. When you buy your components
at most hydraulic stores, they will normally assemble and crimp your hoses
for free.
Steve

"Mr. Bla" wrote in message
Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:02:42 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mr.
Bla" quickly quoth:

Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building a
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

Trailer it down to your local NAPA Auto Parts Store early in the
morning (maybe schedule it with them first!) Most of them have the
proper tooling to make custom hoses and it can be cheaper than buying
hoses from the dealerships (if those would even work.)

NAPA made all the hoses for the old frame and collision shop I used to
work in. A/C, P/S, other hydraulics, steam cleaner hoses, etc.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

A local hydraulic shop should be able to make up hoses to your specs
fairly cheap. Here in Seattle, Nebar Supply is real good. Had an A/C H/P
hose for my '70 F250 (totally NLA) made up for $28.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Mr. Bla wrote:

Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building a
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Mr. Bla wrote:
Has anyone here found a cheap hydraulic hose crimping tool? I am Building a
kit car and will need to custom make a/c and power steering lines but all
the crimping tools are over 1000$. any help would be appreciated

They are expensive because they are precision tools that HAVE to do a
100% job. Get them made up as suggested - not good to have a home made
brake hose blow when you put that extra "stop real fast" load on the
pedal....

On a slightly similar note - one of our Australian warships had a major
engine room fire where a few people died. Traced to a contractor doing
a lousy job on the engine feed fuel line crimping..........they
blew........ah, the joys of "economic rationalisation" and "contracting
out".....

Andrew VK3BFA.