Frantic3D

Default Grinding tool bits, newbie question.

Hello all,
I just purchased, (perhaps by mistake) H.F. 6" tool grinder. Looks and runs
like a fairly well made machine.
Anyway, the reason I purchased it was because it came with the nice green
silicon/carbide wheels for grinding carbide.
Question I can grind most all of my lathe tool bits and a few none standard
ones.Is there reference for grinding end mills and the like?
Or am I better off buying these as needed? I'm fully aware this is the sort
of thing that practice will ultimately make better.
So some sort of reference material would be helpful to start.

TIA
Neil

Richard J Kinch

Frantic3D writes:

Is there reference for grinding end mills and the like?

That grinder does not have the complex features for grinding end mills.
Gunner

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:17:19 GMT, "Frantic3D"
wrote:

Hello all,
I just purchased, (perhaps by mistake) H.F. 6" tool grinder. Looks and runs
like a fairly well made machine.
Anyway, the reason I purchased it was because it came with the nice green
silicon/carbide wheels for grinding carbide.
Question I can grind most all of my lathe tool bits and a few none standard
ones.Is there reference for grinding end mills and the like?
Or am I better off buying these as needed? I'm fully aware this is the sort
of thing that practice will ultimately make better.
So some sort of reference material would be helpful to start.

TIA
Neil

Gods...learn to grind your own. Buy any???? BLASHPHEMY!!!!!

Oh..and get a white wheel so you can grind HSS.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

It's possible to resharpen an end mill by hand but it will almost
certainly cut with only the longest flute, like a fly cutter. If you
want to regrind them try to do most of your material removal by
plunging down to preserve the side cutting edges which are much harder
to sharpen. You can also bevel the corners a little and limit the depth
of cut to the bevel. Rough the part almost to size with a reground
cutter and switch to a new one for the finish cut. Time vs Money.

I use a ratty old $100 surface grinder to resharpen end mills, reamers,
taps, side milling cutters, wood planer blades, etc. It has easily paid
for itself by letting me use $1 dull tools instead of $20-$40 new ones.

jw

Bob May

Sherline has an excellent PDF file (4 pages) on the subject of grinding tool
bits for a lathe.
For doing end mills, you need to have tool holders and so forth to properly
cut the working edge of the endmills and spin them so that the cutting edge
is correct.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

F. George McDuffee

Otheers have suggested the Shearline website -- good place to
start. Problem with HF or even Baldor grinder is the lack of
repeatability of your grind because of the difficulty in setting
the table and fence to known angles.

Take a look at
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...g/tabanggg.htm
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/machining/thfnce.htm
for how we overcame this problem. Even a first term student can
now grind threading tools to a line-out fit to an acme gauge.

You will need wheel dresser to keep the wheel true and flat. An
inexpensive diamond dresser [c. 5$] will work fine for both AO
[white] and SC [green] wheels.

GmcD