Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default toolpost grinders

What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
.. .
What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

They are a precision balanced motor with a belt driven spindle with
precision bearings. The assembly provides for speed changes for the size
wheel in question. Not really necessary unless you intend to work with
hardened materials, and not really recommend anyway. You have to grind
dry, which is a grand PITA, and the resulting abrasive plays hell with a
lathe, which has exposed ways, unlike a precision grinder. At best, a
tool post grinder is a compromise. Relatively poor finish (as compared to
a precision grinder) and difficult, at best, to control size (again, as
compared to a precision grinder). As the name implies, they mount on the
compound, where your tool post mounts.

Don't get me wrong. They're a nice tool if you must grind and have no other
options. Just avoid using one if you can. There's lots more neat stuff
you can use for your shop----assuming you don't have a specific need.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 02:38:53 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Indeed. Ive got a Dumore that I think Ive used (1) time in the 8 or so
years Ive had it.

Now it lives on a shelf because I stumbled into a Covel OD grinder
that is the real deal..and I think Ive used IT 3 times when making
something (Hasetalloy replacements for solenoid valves)

Gunner
"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Like the others have stated, its a super tool when needed, but it
makes a mess. Whenever I use mine, I place old bed sheets etc on my
lathe, and use a piece of brown masking paper that I spray oil on so
it attracks and holds the grit the grinder makes, and as much as I
cover my bedways and the rest of the machine it still will find places
to get into that you find months later......
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

If your TP grinder is made by Atlas, you can get a manual for it from
Clausing, which merged with Atlas a number of years ago. There's a bit of
info in the manual on how to use it AIR.

Mike

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
.. .
What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
machineman

In one shop we had a dumore 67 toolpost grinder that I used all of the
time. A pretty specific usage, grinding a plasma sprayed seal diameter
on a turboprop engine component. The plasma sprayed metals do not
machine worth a damn and the only way to get a decent finish is to grind
them. I would leave 2-4 thou over finish and still get a little taper
from the wheel wear over a half in of grinding :-) Mind you that was
nothing compared to the wear on the wheels on our Heald internal grinder
used to do the seal segments in the turbine paths, up to .030 on a 6"x2"
alx wheel. We tried using diamond and borazon but it just clogged the
wheel. We found one that worked and then ordered them in batches of 25
from a specialty wheel maker.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Got any pictures?

I was thinking of making one out of a Dremel!
I've had to turn down goddamm dowel pins, so I collet-ed up the pins, and
just held the Dremel by hand!! Worked! At least well enough...

A spin fixture on a surface grinder is probably a better method for the ends
of short hard pieces.

The finish from these grinders can be pretty good. My buddy finishes long
shafts w/ a Dumore
They are a pita, tho, and the grit/dust is a problem. Proly wouldn't hurt
to blanket the ways/machine if using one for extended periods.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Brent Philion" wrote in message
.. .
What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:38:25 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Got any pictures?

I was thinking of making one out of a Dremel!
I've had to turn down goddamm dowel pins, so I collet-ed up the pins, and
just held the Dremel by hand!! Worked! At least well enough...

A spin fixture on a surface grinder is probably a better method for the ends
of short hard pieces.

The finish from these grinders can be pretty good. My buddy finishes long
shafts w/ a Dumore
They are a pita, tho, and the grit/dust is a problem. Proly wouldn't hurt
to blanket the ways/machine if using one for extended periods.

You can use carbide to turn down dowell pins. You can part 'em off
too. Even the shanks of endmills and taps can be turned with carbide.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Skinner

wrote:

I was thinking of making one out of a Dremel!
I've had to turn down goddamm dowel pins, so I collet-ed up the pins, and
just held the Dremel by hand!! Worked! At least well enough...

Dremel makes a flexible shaft attachment that is cylindrical and about
5/8" or 3/4" diameter. It fits a boring bar holder nicely.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Must be using cheap carbide...
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

wrote:

Got any pictures?

I was thinking of making one out of a Dremel!
I've had to turn down goddamm dowel pins, so I collet-ed up the pins, and
just held the Dremel by hand!! Worked! At least well enough...

A spin fixture on a surface grinder is probably a better method for the
ends
of short hard pieces.

The finish from these grinders can be pretty good. My buddy finishes long
shafts w/ a Dumore
They are a pita, tho, and the grit/dust is a problem. Proly wouldn't hurt
to blanket the ways/machine if using one for extended periods.

You can use carbide to turn down dowell pins. You can part 'em off
too. Even the shanks of endmills and taps can be turned with carbide.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

wrote:

I was thinking of making one out of a Dremel!
I've had to turn down goddamm dowel pins, so I collet-ed up the pins, and
just held the Dremel by hand!! Worked! At least well enough...

Dremel makes a flexible shaft attachment that is cylindrical and about
5/8" or 3/4" diameter. It fits a boring bar holder nicely.

This is a great idea!!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Mike Henry wrote:
If your TP grinder is made by Atlas, you can get a manual for it from
Clausing, which merged with Atlas a number of years ago. There's a bit of
info in the manual on how to use it AIR.

Mike

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
.. .

What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

there are NO indications on it to show it was made by anyone
thats the strange thing. And i can see essentially that power comes in
on a 2 prong lampcord telling me its NOT a new peice of equipment

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Mike Henry wrote:
[...]

Do you have a picture that you could post to the drop box at
www.metalworking.com ?

Alternately, I have an original Atlas/Clausing TP grinder and can put a
picture of that on my web site but it will take me to the weekend to get to
it.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

You will never have a use for it, and it will be laying around your
shop, tripping you every time you walk past it.... so, to save you all
that aggravation, you should box it up, package it well, and ship it
off to ME... and let me help you from becoming upset with it....
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
snip---------

You will never have a use for it, and it will be laying around your
shop, tripping you every time you walk past it.... so, to save you all
that aggravation, you should box it up, package it well, and ship it
off to ME... and let me help you from becoming upset with it....
Ken.

Such a sacrifice. A true friend!

You sure you're willing to put up with all that trouble, Ken? g

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

THe pic i have is my full lathe with tooling the grinder is kinda small
in comparison but it is in the pic i have

It looks homebrew

a tube with a morot and a speed control switch (Multi position) to a
triple pulley to another to a tube containing the arbor to a grinding
bit (die grinder bit size)

I'll attempt a posting to the drop box

Do you have a picture that you could post to the drop box at
www.metalworking.com ?

Alternately, I have an original Atlas/Clausing TP grinder and can put a
picture of that on my web site but it will take me to the weekend to get to
it.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Ken Sterling wrote:
What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

You will never have a use for it, and it will be laying around your
shop, tripping you every time you walk past it.... so, to save you all
that aggravation, you should box it up, package it well, and ship it
off to ME... and let me help you from becoming upset with it....
Ken.

[insert eye roll here]

new to machining

born at night

but NOT last night =)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

[...]

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Lathe_01.JPG

below the chuck key
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eric R Snow wrote:

You can use carbide to turn down dowell pins. You can part 'em off
too. Even the shanks of endmills and taps can be turned with carbide.
ERS

I've turned the flange off of drill bushings when adapting them to
hold odd sized drills in a tool grinder collet. (have to slit them).

Carbide is is great.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 02:10:05 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:
Ken Sterling wrote:
Brent Philion wrote:

What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

You will never have a use for it, and it will be laying around your
shop, tripping you every time you walk past it.... so, to save you all
that aggravation, you should box it up, package it well, and ship it
off to ME... and let me help you from becoming upset with it....
Ken.

[insert eye roll here]

new to machining

born at night

but NOT last night =)

Hang around here a while, and you'll see lots of offers to take
"worthless" stuff off your hands. Some are even serious.

All kidding aside, there are things you will run across in your
wanderings that you recognize what it is (or at least you are pretty
sure) that were expensive or rare once, and were worth a pretty penny
once, and you know you'll never use - but you know three people who
can. And the price is right, as in "Get it out of here, it's been
sitting there for 20 Years and I'm sick of looking at it!"

So you haul it off, and you can usually find someone here to pay you
the "Shipping and Handling" costs to get it to a good home, where it
will get used for the intended purpose.

That, or they might have something sitting around taking up space at
their shop that YOU need - What goes around comes around...

And you saved landfill space, too!

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Of course, the *week after* he gets rid of it, he's gonna need it--bad.

I finally got rid of a bunch of old tires, after 10 years. Wouldn't you
know, two weeks later, I needed a bunch of old tires?? Hadda go back to the
dump....

Someone way upstairs has a wicked sense of humor.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:
Ken Sterling wrote:
Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

[...]

The link seems to be dead...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Henry :

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
. ..

[ ... toolpost grinder discussion ... ]

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Lathe_01.JPG

below the chuck key

The link seems to be dead...

That's because it was submitted with an image name which would
clash with other images already there, or to be expected to come in.
So, Steve (the one who runs the Dropbox) renamed it to:

toolpost_grinder_and_Lathe_01.JPG

along with:

toolpost_grinder_and_lathe.txt

Normal practice is to put your initials, or something else at the front
of the names so the descriptive ".txt" file and the image or images will
sort to show up together.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Mike Henry :

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
m...

[ ... toolpost grinder discussion ... ]

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Lathe_01.JPG

below the chuck key

The link seems to be dead...

That's because it was submitted with an image name which would
clash with other images already there, or to be expected to come in.
So, Steve (the one who runs the Dropbox) renamed it to:

toolpost_grinder_and_Lathe_01.JPG

along with:

toolpost_grinder_and_lathe.txt

Normal practice is to put your initials, or something else at the front
of the names so the descriptive ".txt" file and the image or images will
sort to show up together.

Enjoy,
DoN.

AHA thanks don i've been "Edumacated"

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...d_Lathe_01.JPG

the toolpost grinder is on the lowershelf beloe the chuck key its a
motor ina tube feeding out to 2 step pulleys
back down toa drill rod in a tube feeding out to a bit of thread that
the grinding burr goes onto
the grinding burr obviously sticking outtowards the front

the dropbox is a really neat idea and Kudos to the person wh came up
with it if its steve, thanks steve

Use for small angle grinders? Rex B Metalworking 24 March 10th 05 02:40 PM
Quick Change Toolpost question [email protected] Metalworking 3 March 7th 05 01:39 AM
wet grinders, vertical movement of stone Hans Woodturning 1 November 26th 04 12:04 AM
Decent angle grinders... Alan UK diy 6 August 12th 04 07:02 PM
HF 34706 lathe Dominic Palazzola Woodturning 56 March 8th 04 11:21 AM