Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default toolpost grinders

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 02:38:53 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
. ..
What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my
newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor
that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a
toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could
stand to be pointed in the right direction.

They are a precision balanced motor with a belt driven spindle with
precision bearings. The assembly provides for speed changes for the size
wheel in question. Not really necessary unless you intend to work with
hardened materials, and not really recommend anyway. You have to grind
dry, which is a grand PITA, and the resulting abrasive plays hell with a
lathe, which has exposed ways, unlike a precision grinder. At best, a
tool post grinder is a compromise. Relatively poor finish (as compared to
a precision grinder) and difficult, at best, to control size (again, as
compared to a precision grinder). As the name implies, they mount on the
compound, where your tool post mounts.

Don't get me wrong. They're a nice tool if you must grind and have no other
options. Just avoid using one if you can. There's lots more neat stuff
you can use for your shop----assuming you don't have a specific need.

Harold

Indeed. Ive got a Dumore that I think Ive used (1) time in the 8 or so
years Ive had it.

Now it lives on a shelf because I stumbled into a Covel OD grinder
that is the real deal..and I think Ive used IT 3 times when making
something (Hasetalloy replacements for solenoid valves)

Gunner
"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin