Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default "Ingenious Mechanisms" book set

I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"carl mciver" wrote in message
news
I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to
get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

I live with the four-volume set within reach of my bedstand.

I've never built one single mechanism from any of them. On the other hand,
I've had many puzzles to solve with machine design for which they contained
the secrets to the solution.

These books are chock-full of OLD, purely mechanical, sometimes
simple-sometimes complex ideas and sub-machines. Virtually any motion
translation is described there.

I wouldn't be without them. I've had my set for twelve years, and they're
as interesting as when new every time I open them.

(there is a small but recognizable redundancy among the four, but not enough
to harm their value)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

carl mciver wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

I have the set. Best to get to a free
library and actually browse the books
yourself. I found the designs interesting,
but for the most part, too difficult to
fabricate in a home shop environment.
But that just might be my limitation (:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chuck Sherwood

I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is

I have the set. Interesting reading but thats as much as I have ever used them.
I probably have not opened them in a year.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

carl mciver wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library and
read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk down
serious coin to buy them!

If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about interlibrary
loans!

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:49:23 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

Hey Carl,

Nothing would make me "run out" to get a set, and certainly not right
now. If someone were to give me another set, I would quickly
"re-gift" them for sure, although I'll keep the set I've got for now
(Hmmm....wonder where the heck they are anyway??) Too much BS for me.
B-O-R-R-R-R-R-R-I-N-G.
Now, guys like David MacMillan would love them, but the stuff is much
too esoteric for any home shop use, and very little on "Oh Yeah!!
That's a good idea!!" stuff.

Now, some more MH's make me drool. I've got LOTS of room for more of
them! One within arms reach at all times is a good idea.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:05:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

In article . net,
says...
I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

Not knowing what you're looking for it's hard to make a recommendation,
so the suggestion to look at the books in a library is a good one.

Most of the ideas in the book are examples of actual machines and often
quite complex. It can be difficult to glean an idea from the material
without spending a lot of time reading the quite detailed descriptions.
The four volumes were published over a period of years, so while each
book is divided into subjects, there's no overall organization - there
may be a section in volume 1 that's very similar to one in volume 4.

A couple other books with similar coverage, but different approaches:

"Pictorial Handbook of Mechanical Devices" - Grafstein
"Mechanisms, Linkages and Mechanical Controls" - Chironis
"The Engineer's Sketchbook" - Barber
"507 Mechanical Movements" - Lindsay reprint
"Fine Mechanisms and Precision Instruments" - Trylinski

All except the last, which is a translation of a Polish text, are easily
available either new or used.

www.leevalley.com has some of those and others ("Mechanical Movements
& Devices") in reprints for cheap prices as well.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| carl mciver wrote:
|
| I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to
get
| a better idea about them, since information about their actual content
is
| pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell
me
| that makes me want to run out right now and get them?
|

| I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library
and
| read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk
down
| serious coin to buy them!
|
| If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about
interlibrary
| loans!
|
| GWE

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public
library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few
"hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion.
Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| carl mciver wrote:
|
| I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to
get
| a better idea about them, since information about their actual content
is
| pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell
me
| that makes me want to run out right now and get them?
|

| I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library
and
| read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk
down
| serious coin to buy them!
|
| If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about
interlibrary
| loans!
|
| GWE

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public
library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few
"hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion.
Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| carl mciver wrote:
|
| I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to
get
| a better idea about them, since information about their actual content
is
| pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell
me
| that makes me want to run out right now and get them?
|

| I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library
and
| read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk
down
| serious coin to buy them!
|
| If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about
interlibrary
| loans!
|
| GWE

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public
library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few
"hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion.
Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

You could ask your library to find it for you and do an interlibrary loan.
They'll usually charge a small fee.

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public
library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few
"hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion.
Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Bush

carl mciver wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to
get
a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is
pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me
that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

I have this set of books... It is interesting... but it is from a different
age. Seems like a lot of what is covered is mechanical motions in a
printing press or conveyor line... Seems like these days much of what was
once done mechanicaly is prabably done electicaly.
I keep them on the bed stand and find them quite condusive (sp) to a good
nights sleep.
zzzz
mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

I agree with Mike. They are dull reading, that's for sure. But on the
other hand, when you do need them they are invaluable. IMO, every "shop"
should have a set.

Bob Swinney