charlie b

Default "New" Krenov Book Out

While browsing the shelves of woodworking books at a nearby
Barnes & Noble I spotted a familiar cabinet photo on the spine
of one of the books. The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking - James
Krenov - hmmm. The cover has three nice photographs of three
of Mr. Krenov's cabinets, beautiful in their appaprent
simplicity, wonderful in their proportions, each quietly
showing the wonders of wood. Flipped the book over - $17.95!
Done!

Only later that night, a little bedtime reading, did I
discover that my "new" Krenov book is actually a reprint,
of a book I already have. Sneaky publisher - repackaging
a book released a mere 12 years ago.

Now don't get me wrong - this is a terrific book and, with
the exception of some colored photographs that were on the
back cover of the earlier version, the content is identical.
And the content is very good - filled with Krenov's approach
to cabinetmaking, his love of wood, lots of details shots
and text full of tips and techniques. And the thing I
value most, Krenov's sharing of his inner thoughts and
feelings about pieces and woodworking in general, are
scattered throughout the book. There are a ton of books
on "how to" but few contain the "why" part of the process.

If you missed the earlier publication of this book here's
your salvation. If you have no idea who James Krenov is
or what he does - pick up a copy of this book. If you're
new to woodworking and think you're going to really get
into it - pick up a copy of this book. If you're one of
those people who thinks Krenov is "one of those tree hugging,
wood lovers who does funny little cabinets on long spindly
legs" - get the book anyway - you're sure to pick up some
usefull methods of doing some nice things with wood.

At $18 US this book is a steal!

charlie b

details
ISBN 1-4027-1416-5