Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? XCVII

A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman Billingham

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

#561 is a post-hole borer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Canem

557. Hoof gage used by farriers to measure hoof angle and determines
the levelness of the foot.
561. Ground anchor for guy wires.
562. Maybe a pedometer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jeff R

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

560. Well, its a wooden sand casting pattern, but what of? The colour code
is all mixed up, too. I though red was "to be machined", and the core print
isn't yellow... (?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

559: poker chip holder

--
-Bo Parker

The email address in the header is fake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:14:33 +1100, Jeff R wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message

A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

560. Well, its a wooden sand casting pattern, but what of? The colour code
is all mixed up, too. I though red was "to be machined", and the core print
isn't yellow... (?)

It looks like a negative for a vane pump rotor, or maybe a magnetron
anode.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
BillP

R.H. wrote:
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

..
#561 is an anchor used by augering into the soil for whatever anchoring
purpose one might need. The eye is used for tying off and for slipping
a cross handle into to screw it into the ground.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

562 Battery ammeter used to check batteries in early radios.

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

557) It sort of looks like a tool for measuring the angle of a
horse's hoof -- perhaps to allow for installing a tapered
horseshoe to adapt to a problem with the ankle?

I wouldn't think that they would need the full 90 degrees for
that, however.

558) Some special form of hammer -- for striking on a rather narrow
area.

559) Poker chip holder.

560) This looks like a pattern for a metal casting mold. The halves
are placed in "green sand" (in two halves -- the "cope" and the
"drag" , and it is rammed to firm up the mold. Then the halves
of the pattern are removed, the cope and drag are joined (in
special frames to retain the registration), and the metal is
poured. (I've skipped over details such as forming vents and
the path through which the metal flows into the mold.

I'm not sure why the separate colors, however. Most that I have
seen are just plain wood -- perhaps with varnish to keep the
sand from sticking to the pattern.

561) A post-hole auger -- for drilling holes in the earth into which
to place fenceposts and the like. A wood shaft is placed
through the eye at the top end, and two people walk around the
point as it drills in.

The trick is getting the dirt out from the drilled hole. :-)

562) Hmm ... the two side knobs look like binding post terminals,
and the one on the left appears to be insulated from the case,
so I would suggest that this is either a voltmeter or an
ammeter.

I've never seen one with a gear train, but this one looks quite
old. Is that date in the upper right 1898? 1896?

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

#561 is a post-hole borer

Looks more like an earth anchor than a hole digger.

There isn't enough screw to carry the loose dirt out of the hole, but
the blades will cut their way into the ground and allow the hole to
close back around the shaft, making it difficult to pull it loose
without unscrewing it. The eye at the top of the shaft would allow a
rope or chain to be fastened there, tethering whatever is attached to
the other end of the rope.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

#559 is a bakelite poker chip lazy susan.

scott
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gerard 46

| Scott Lurndal wrote:
| #559 is a bakelite poker chip lazy susan.

How in heck can you tell it has a lazy susan base ? _____Gerard S.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
John Hofstad-Parkhill

561. I would have guessed an ice auger, for ice fishing, not much in the
way of flutes though...

R.H. said the following on 1/12/2006 3:36 AM:
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sam Soltan

557 - a device to measure the angle of a hoof on a horse

558. a really dull knife

559. a chip holder for a poker game

560. a split pattern for a casting.

561. an ice auger for ice fishing

562. an electric meter ... but I dont know if for volts, amps, or ohms.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Susan

This may have been asked/answered before, but does anyone know or remember a
TV Game show LONG time ago that would have unusual objects and 2 wrong and 1
correct answer were given? If you do remember the name of the show I would
appreciate you sharing it with me :-)

Susan

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Sam Soltan" samsoltan_48323atyahoodotcom wrote in message
. ..
557 - a device to measure the angle of a hoof on a horse

558. a really dull knife

559. a chip holder for a poker game

560. a split pattern for a casting.

561. an ice auger for ice fishing

562. an electric meter ... but I dont know if for volts, amps, or ohms.

558 For swaging over a rivet in a narrow space? Looks like the "blade"
edge has been beat on quite a bit.

561 I go with the ground anchor or "deadman"

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Yeah, I do remember that. I think Soupy Sales was one of the
celebrities. Three celebs would provide ideas for what the object was,
and the contestant had to guess which celeb was telling the truth. I
think the show was about the same time as "Whats my Line" and "to tell
the truth"..

Hmmm...

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

"Take A Guess"?

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Barbara Bailey entity posted thusly:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:44:15 +0000 (UTC), "Norman Billingham"
wrote:

m...

#561 is a post-hole borer

Looks more like an earth anchor than a hole digger.

Yup.. they are common at horse events like trail rides, etc. for
tethering horses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Carl G.

"Susan" wrote in message
This may have been asked/answered before, but does anyone know or remember

TV Game show LONG time ago that would have unusual objects and 2 wrong and

1
correct answer were given? If you do remember the name of the show I

would
appreciate you sharing it with me :-)

Susan

Your description is similar to that of a game show called "Liar's Club",
except that in "Liar's Club" three of four celebrities provided incorrect
answers. Also, it wasn't produced a LONG time ago. It was produced in
1969, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1988. The host in 1969 was Rod Serling. Other
hosts were Bill Armstrong (1976-1977), Allen Ludden (1977-1978), and Eric
Boardman (1988-1989).

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:22:03 GMT, "Carl G."
wrote:

,;
,;"Susan" wrote in message
,; This may have been asked/answered before, but does anyone know or remember
,;a
,; TV Game show LONG time ago that would have unusual objects and 2 wrong and
,;1
,; correct answer were given? If you do remember the name of the show I
,;would
,; appreciate you sharing it with me :-)
,;
,; Susan

Try this URL...

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...liars_club.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:39:58 -0600, "Susan"
wrote:

This may have been asked/answered before, but does anyone know or remember a
TV Game show LONG time ago that would have unusual objects and 2 wrong and 1
correct answer were given? If you do remember the name of the show I would
appreciate you sharing it with me :-)

Susan

"Liar's Club" As I recall, Larry Hovis was one of the regulars on the
panel and was quite good at coming up with plausible (but false)
identifications.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"557. Hoof gage used by farriers to measure hoof angle and determines
the levelness of the foot. "
The shape of it made me think it was a farrier's tool but I couldn't
figure out what it did.

Sure seems like 558 is also a farrier's tool, for digging stuff out of
the hoof, prepping it for the new shoe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Susan

Thats it - was a good show. I only remember the original, and 1969 was a
long time ago - at least in terms of how I look today v the 60s :-)

Thanks for the help.

Susan

"Carl G." wrote in message
nk.net...

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Five have been answered correctly so far:

557. Hoof leveler

558. No correct answers yet but partial credit to DoN for guessing that's a
hammer. It's used for making something with thatch type material.

559. Poker chip holder

560. Sand casting pattern

561. This was marked "ice auger", which I think is probably correct. It
has two cutting edges whereas most of the earth anchors that I've seen on
the web have just one, and look a little more similar to a drill, as seen
he

http://www.rackattack.com/product/62...06258&utm_id=3

562. Battery volt meter

More photos and several links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotans99v.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

561. This was marked "ice auger", which I think is probably correct. It
has two cutting edges whereas most of the earth anchors that I've seen on
the web have just one, and look a little more similar to a drill, as seen
he

http://www.rackattack.com/product/62...06258&utm_id=3

That's most definitely not an ice auger, or at least it's not even
close to any ice auger I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a number
of them.

A search for "ice auger" in Google Images will show you what an ice
auger looks like... the main feature being 'threads' that go most of
the way up the shaft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jeff R

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

561. This was marked "ice auger", which I think is probably correct. It
has two cutting edges whereas most of the earth anchors that I've seen on
the web have just one, and look a little more similar to a drill, as seen
he

http://www.rackattack.com/product/62....htm?gad=CM2F2

P8BEghkEKJdN-87sRi4lIn_AyD94dcP&gkw=306258&utm_id=3

That's most definitely not an ice auger, or at least it's not even
close to any ice auger I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a number
of them.

A search for "ice auger" in Google Images will show you what an ice
auger looks like... the main feature being 'threads' that go most of
the way up the shaft.

Could there be a distinction between an ice auger which drills a hole, and
an ice anchor auger, which provides an anchor in the ice?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Jeff R entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
.. .
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

561. This was marked "ice auger", which I think is probably correct. It
has two cutting edges whereas most of the earth anchors that I've seen on
the web have just one, and look a little more similar to a drill, as seen
he

http://www.rackattack.com/product/62....htm?gad=CM2F2

P8BEghkEKJdN-87sRi4lIn_AyD94dcP&gkw=306258&utm_id=3

That's most definitely not an ice auger, or at least it's not even
close to any ice auger I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a number
of them.

A search for "ice auger" in Google Images will show you what an ice
auger looks like... the main feature being 'threads' that go most of
the way up the shaft.

Could there be a distinction between an ice auger which drills a hole, and
an ice anchor auger, which provides an anchor in the ice?

I suppose there could be, though a Google Images search doesn't show
anything like that for "ice anchor".

I'll have to see if I can find my earth anchors in the barn. I haven't
used them for a long time, and I'm not sure if they are single or
double flute. Nor do I know if it makes a difference in what they are
called.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

561. This was marked "ice auger", which I think is probably correct. It
has two cutting edges whereas most of the earth anchors that I've seen on
the web have just one, and look a little more similar to a drill, as seen
he

http://www.rackattack.com/product/62....htm?gad=CM2F2

P8BEghkEKJdN-87sRi4lIn_AyD94dcP&gkw=306258&utm_id=3

That's most definitely not an ice auger, or at least it's not even
close to any ice auger I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a number
of them.

A search for "ice auger" in Google Images will show you what an ice
auger looks like... the main feature being 'threads' that go most of
the way up the shaft.

I agree that it doesn't look like a modern ice auger, but this tool appears
to be quite old and I figured that they were made much simpler years ago.
Have you seen many of them as old as this one?

It looks like it could be used for either purpose, but I'm leaning towards
ice auger mostly because of the angle of the blades, the fact that there are
two of them, and it seems to me that it would would work well for shaving
ice.

I haven't been able to find any other tools yet that look like this one, but
I'll do a little more research this weekend.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:26:27 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

The Jeff R entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
. ..
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

[...]

I've got two in my hand that I just grabbed out of our camping gear.
One's single blade, with the blade forming one single full twist; the
other is a double blade, with each blade forming about a 4/7th twist.

Barb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

It looks like it could be used for either purpose, but I'm leaning towards
ice auger mostly because of the angle of the blades, the fact that there are
two of them, and it seems to me that it would would work well for shaving
ice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Wood Butcher :
"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

[ ... ]

It looks like it could be used for either purpose, but I'm leaning towards
ice auger mostly because of the angle of the blades, the fact that there are
two of them, and it seems to me that it would would work well for shaving
ice.

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

And the ring at the top does not look either strong enough, or
shaped properly to allow use as an anchor. It is too sharp-edged to not
cut through the rope attached to it.

I believe that shape is correct for a wooden T-handle fitted
through it to allow two people to march around the hole which is being
drilled.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Wood Butcher wrote:

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

It's an earth auger ANCHOR...

http://images.google.com/images?q=earth+auger+anchor

Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and
anchor something down to it... like a tent.

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Joe Barta :
Wood Butcher wrote:

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

It's an earth auger ANCHOR...

http://images.google.com/images?q=earth+auger+anchor

Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and
anchor something down to it... like a tent.

Look at the eyes on the ones which your link leads to, and
compare it to the one on the puzzle photo. That puzzle photo one is
*only* designed to accept a wooden rod as a T-handle, not to serve as a
tie-down eye.

I still say post-hole digger.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:32:27 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Joe Barta :
Wood Butcher wrote:

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

It's an earth auger ANCHOR...

http://images.google.com/images?q=earth+auger+anchor

Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and
anchor something down to it... like a tent.

Look at the eyes on the ones which your link leads to, and
compare it to the one on the puzzle photo. That puzzle photo one is
*only* designed to accept a wooden rod as a T-handle, not to serve as a
tie-down eye.

I still say post-hole digger.

Enjoy,
DoN.

No question.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gunner

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:48:27 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

Wood Butcher wrote:

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

It's an earth auger ANCHOR...

http://images.google.com/images?q=earth+auger+anchor

Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and
anchor something down to it... like a tent.

Joe Barta

Or a mobile home..often used in earthquake country

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and
anchor something down to it... like a tent.

Joe Barta

Or a mobile home..often used in earthquake country

I thought that there still might be a chance of it being an ice auger since
that's what it was marked and the seller ususally has all of his tool tagged
correctly, but after checking with some ice fishermen who all agreed that it
was not one, I've changed the answer on my page to either an earth anchor or
a post hole digger.

Since no one is guessing on number 558 I'll go ahead and give the answer,
it's a broom hammer. The use of one is briefly mentioned on this page:

http://www.arts.state.al.us/actc/articles/broom.htm

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

news
"R.H." wrote in message

A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

560. Well, its a wooden sand casting pattern, but what of? The colour

code
is all mixed up, too. I though red was "to be machined", and the core

print
isn't yellow... (?)

I've got about 15 different types of sand casting patterns, and only a
couple of them are yellow on the inside, I guess different companies had
different color standards. Also, some of them are red and black, and others
are brown and black.

It looks like a negative for a vane pump rotor, or maybe a magnetron
anode.

I couldn't find any photos on the web of any of these that look like mine, I
was thinking that the red colored area was removed in the finished piece,
leaving the middle hollow.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

Wood Butcher wrote:

The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque
required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth
auger hypothesis.

It's an earth auger ANCHOR...

http://images.google.com/images?q=earth+auger+anchor

Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and
anchor something down to it... like a tent.

Joe Barta

Or a mobile home..often used in earthquake country

Don't know about earthquake country, but in our area of Western NY, if you
live in a mobile home, it MUST be anchored. Law came out back in '70s, I
think. That's when trailer parks started putting tie-downs cast right in the
parking pads.