Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

Default What is it? XCVII

According to R.H. :
A few more photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

557) It sort of looks like a tool for measuring the angle of a
horse's hoof -- perhaps to allow for installing a tapered
horseshoe to adapt to a problem with the ankle?

I wouldn't think that they would need the full 90 degrees for
that, however.

558) Some special form of hammer -- for striking on a rather narrow
area.

559) Poker chip holder.

560) This looks like a pattern for a metal casting mold. The halves
are placed in "green sand" (in two halves -- the "cope" and the
"drag" , and it is rammed to firm up the mold. Then the halves
of the pattern are removed, the cope and drag are joined (in
special frames to retain the registration), and the metal is
poured. (I've skipped over details such as forming vents and
the path through which the metal flows into the mold.

I'm not sure why the separate colors, however. Most that I have
seen are just plain wood -- perhaps with varnish to keep the
sand from sticking to the pattern.

561) A post-hole auger -- for drilling holes in the earth into which
to place fenceposts and the like. A wood shaft is placed
through the eye at the top end, and two people walk around the
point as it drills in.

The trick is getting the dirt out from the drilled hole. :-)

562) Hmm ... the two side knobs look like binding post terminals,
and the one on the left appears to be insulated from the case,
so I would suggest that this is either a voltmeter or an
ammeter.

I've never seen one with a gear train, but this one looks quite
old. Is that date in the upper right 1898? 1896?

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564