Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

Default What is it? XCVII

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:26:27 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

The Jeff R entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
. ..
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

561. This was marked "ice auger", which I think is probably correct. It
has two cutting edges whereas most of the earth anchors that I've seen on
the web have just one, and look a little more similar to a drill, as seen
he

http://www.rackattack.com/product/62....htm?gad=CM2F2

P8BEghkEKJdN-87sRi4lIn_AyD94dcP&gkw=306258&utm_id=3

That's most definitely not an ice auger, or at least it's not even
close to any ice auger I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a number
of them.

A search for "ice auger" in Google Images will show you what an ice
auger looks like... the main feature being 'threads' that go most of
the way up the shaft.

Could there be a distinction between an ice auger which drills a hole, and
an ice anchor auger, which provides an anchor in the ice?

I suppose there could be, though a Google Images search doesn't show
anything like that for "ice anchor".

I'll have to see if I can find my earth anchors in the barn. I haven't
used them for a long time, and I'm not sure if they are single or
double flute. Nor do I know if it makes a difference in what they are
called.

I've got two in my hand that I just grabbed out of our camping gear.
One's single blade, with the blade forming one single full twist; the
other is a double blade, with each blade forming about a 4/7th twist.

Barb