Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj

Default Portable Bandsaws - PorterCable vs Miwaukee

The HF bandsaw thread prompts me to ask, how about PorterCable vs
Milwaukee? How do they compare? Let's just say the HF one is in a
class by itself? :-) (I am no HF snob, I own lots of HF - some great
values and decent quality there)

I'm partial to the PorterCable mostly because of my dissappointing
history with the Milwaukee 14" chop saws.

I think there will be a PC "big capacity" saw in my near future!

Jay
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

A related question...does anyone make a battery powered portable
bandsaw?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

The bandsaws made by Milwaukee, Dewalt, PC, etc. are heavier and appear more
rugged than the HF version. I don't know if they cut any better. Milwaukee
and PC are about the same in terms of features and haven't changed in years.
Dewalt recently came out with theirs and it supposed to have a few
improvements over the others.

Milwauke recently released a 28V (lithium ion) cordless bandsaw. But it is
extremely expensive. Around $500.

"jj" wrote in message
The HF bandsaw thread prompts me to ask, how about PorterCable vs
Milwaukee? How do they compare? Let's just say the HF one is in a
class by itself? :-) (I am no HF snob, I own lots of HF - some great
values and decent quality there)

I'm partial to the PorterCable mostly because of my dissappointing
history with the Milwaukee 14" chop saws.

I think there will be a PC "big capacity" saw in my near future!

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

I have used both Porter-Cable and Milwaukee. and can't find a reason to
choose one over the other. I also now have a H-F, which, not unexpectedly,
is not as good, but it makes a good backup in case of emergency.

Do spend whatever extra money it takes to get a variable speed model. On
tough material, the blades last much longer at low speed. I learned this
the hard way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recently purchased one of the new Dewalt portable band saws and just love it.
The reason I chose Dewalt was that its variable speed can be set with a control
knob as opposed to the trigger controls which I find difficult to use
consistantly having dulled a few blades with a few second slip of the trigger .
Also it has a built in work light so you can see the cut in low light
situations. It is typical Dewalt industrial quality.

(jj) wrote:
The HF bandsaw thread prompts me to ask, how about PorterCable vs
Milwaukee? How do they compare? Let's just say the HF one is in a
class by itself? :-) (I am no HF snob, I own lots of HF - some great
values and decent quality there)

I'm partial to the PorterCable mostly because of my dissappointing
history with the Milwaukee 14" chop saws.

I think there will be a PC "big capacity" saw in my near future!

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

None of my friends would let me come around anymore if I didn't buy the
Milwaukee. The deep cut and 0-350 rpm one.

But I do know a guy who bought a much less expensive Metabo and likes
it. I have used it and have no complaints.

Pete Stanaitis