Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Default Building a Metal Woodburning Fire Place

Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples are
available anywhere.

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:29:43 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples are
available anywhere.

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

Laurie Forbes

I've made a few wood stoves, not difficult at all. Do your design
on graph paper. If it were me, I would seriously consider having a
welding shop shear the plate and look hard at having as much
bent. An oxy-act torch would be a must for a project along with
a welding box & grinder, drillpress. Can't comment on a abrasive
circular saw for large cutouts.

A local welding shop does some shearing for me on occasions
at quitting time. I get the plate and give it a light coat of white
spray paint. Then carefully draw the layout lines on with a felt tip
pen for the shear operator.

Then I just back up with the plate
ready to go and pick up the drops. They charge me a
nominal fee for this. They also do some techinical
stuff at different times for me so I have a good
working relationship with them. Ask around

The fun wood stoves are the ones I make from scrap.
I like 80 gal pressure tanks for the body, and make the door
from a bottom of a 20gal water heater tank. Some
scrap for the hinges, latch, and legs. A piece of
10" sche 80 for the stack. Line with firebrick.

DE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Various parts would be easy using a CNC Plasma torch - Simple parts like that
are not much work - other than the cad and grinding..

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples are
available anywhere.

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:14:39 -0700, DE
wrote:

,;On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:29:43 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:
,;
,;Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
,;welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
,;all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...
,;
,;Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples are
,;available anywhere.
,;
,;Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
,;circular saw??
,;
,;Laurie Forbes
,;

Search with google for Rumford fireplaces. Count Rumford perfected
these designs in the 1700s. You will need to line the firebox with
firebrick or your metal plate will twist and buckle.

Once you decide on the size of the opening all of the rest of the
measurements are locked in so you have a fireplace that draws well.

I built one long ago out of masonry and have a booklet buried around
here someplace. If you don't find detailed plans post again and I will
search for it.

If you just throw a box and chimney together you probably will be
disappointed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anotherMike

Not to be negative, but you might discretely inquire of your insurance
agent what effect a self installed, self built(not UL listed) fireplace
might have on your fire policy. Maybe nothing, but it would be nice to
know in advance.

All the factory metal fireplaces are double wall.
Most of the factory jobs use interlocking castable ceramic panels
simulating firebrick, you might get some replacement panels and design
around them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"anotherMike" wrote: Not to be negative, but you might discretely inquire
of your insurance agent what effect a self installed, self built(not UL
listed) fireplace might have on your fire policy. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right, and not only that! A friend of mine bought a commercially made
conical free-standing metal fireplace--presumably it WAS UL listed. Even
so, he had a hard time complying with building code. Had to have a fairly
large distance from the walls, and ended up placing a layer of fire-brick on
the floor under it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Grimm

My dad used to produce woodstoves. he original model used 1/4" plate, and
the later one used 5/16".

I did see a lot of warping on the 1/4" plate ones when pushed a bit.

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples
are available anywhere.

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Jon Grimm" wrote in message
My dad used to produce woodstoves. he original model used 1/4" plate, and
the later one used 5/16".

I did see a lot of warping on the 1/4" plate ones when pushed a bit.

Hmm - maybe I should go thicker than 3/16. Would the 5/16 be more
appropriate - I don't seem to recall store bought stoves being that heavy?

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Various parts would be easy using a CNC Plasma torch - Simple parts like
that
are not much work - other than the cad and grinding..

yes but who has one

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples
are available anywhere.

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

Laurie Forbes

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

news
wrote:

I've made a few wood stoves, not difficult at all. Do your design
on graph paper. If it were me, I would seriously consider having a
welding shop shear the plate and look hard at having as much
bent.

Sounds like a good idea - could also get the door and chimney openings cut.

An oxy-act torch would be a must for a project along with
a welding box & grinder, drillpress.

I have all those except the torch - if I had the openings cut, maybe not
required (?).

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message news:HxJmf.249702

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

I would think that would be a slow and painful way to do it. Try one of
these: http://www.metaldevil.com/ I don't know off the top of my head what
the maximum thickness is for these blades, but the one I have works a treat
on thinner stuff.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:40:57 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Sounds like a good idea - could also get the door and chimney openings cut.

I have all those except the torch - if I had the openings cut, maybe not
required (?).

Laurie Forbes

I would suggest shopping at a fireplace shop or somewhere that sells
what you are looking for. Take some photos of what you want and
clone it.

As others have pointed out a metal box of burning wood in a building
can have dramatic consequences. The handle,& draft requires a torch
to do some bending/cutting. Might be possible to get most of the
stove cut and bent you could do the welding and get the last bit
farmed out.

A friend picked up a used stove in good shape for $150, couldn't
make one for that.

DE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Me!
In Texas - Deep Texas.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Laurie Forbes wrote:

Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples
are available anywhere.

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

Laurie Forbes

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

When living in the coastal redwoods - northern Ca - We had a medium wood stove
in our 2000+ sq ft house - plenty enough.

It was required to be up on a tile deck above the floor and so many inches
in several ways. The wall was a special - blue ? board that was more fire proof.
They use that wall board in Garages to isolate the auto fire from the house. Creating
a fire wall.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"anotherMike" wrote: Not to be negative, but you might discretely inquire
of your insurance agent what effect a self installed, self built(not UL
listed) fireplace might have on your fire policy. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right, and not only that! A friend of mine bought a commercially made
conical free-standing metal fireplace--presumably it WAS UL listed. Even
so, he had a hard time complying with building code. Had to have a fairly
large distance from the walls, and ended up placing a layer of fire-brick on
the floor under it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:35:48 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

"Jon Grimm" wrote in message
My dad used to produce woodstoves. he original model used 1/4" plate, and
the later one used 5/16".

I did see a lot of warping on the 1/4" plate ones when pushed a bit.

Hmm - maybe I should go thicker than 3/16. Would the 5/16 be more
appropriate - I don't seem to recall store bought stoves being that heavy?

Laurie Forbes

Based on the worthless opinion of a guy who grew up in wood stove
heated homes in the far north..Id go with the 5/16 at minimum. 3/8th
would be better, just from the thermal mass point of view, but also
for the repeated heating and cooling and rusting cycles over the next
however many years.

Shrug...

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
k.net...

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message news:HxJmf.249702

Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
circular saw??

I would think that would be a slow and painful way to do it. Try one of
these: http://www.metaldevil.com/ I don't know off the top of my head
what the maximum thickness is for these blades, but the one I have works a
treat on thinner stuff.

Peter

Thanks for the info - I have requested their literature. I recall this or a
similar product being discussed here a while ago - a worm gear drive
circular saw was recommended. have also looked for similar products locally
but no luck. One of their demo videos shows cutting 1/4" plate with
apparent ease so I would think that 5/16 or 3/8 might be doable.

Laurie Forbes