Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown

Default Building a Metal Woodburning Fire Place

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:14:39 -0700, DE
wrote:

,;On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:29:43 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:
,;
,;Am thinking about building a woodburning fireplace (standalone type) from
,;welded 3/16" or so plate. I'm not sure how to handle the door but
,;all-in-all it wouldn't seem to be too difficult. Or, maybe I'm wrong...
,;
,;Anyhow, was wondering if anyone has already done it or if plans/examples are
,;available anywhere.
,;
,;Also, would it be practical to cut 3/16 plate with an abrasive blade in a
,;circular saw??
,;
,;Laurie Forbes
,;

Search with google for Rumford fireplaces. Count Rumford perfected
these designs in the 1700s. You will need to line the firebox with
firebrick or your metal plate will twist and buckle.

Once you decide on the size of the opening all of the rest of the
measurements are locked in so you have a fireplace that draws well.

I built one long ago out of masonry and have a booklet buried around
here someplace. If you don't find detailed plans post again and I will
search for it.

If you just throw a box and chimney together you probably will be
disappointed.