Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default an idea for another way to deal with rust

Up here in the soggy Pacific NW, we don't have to shovel snow very often but we
do have lots of problems with moss on our roofs. I was out spraying Moss-Out on
my roof just now, which takes awhile, and it got me to wondering. That stuff is
basically about as much zinc as they can dissolve into water without including
anything too dangerous. And of course zinc in solution will reduce iron oxide to
iron. So I'm thinking if I had something small and precision that had rusted I'd
try just soaking the item in moss killer, might just make it shiny and clean ..
if so, that would be another trick.

Let's see, our bag of tricks include:

sandblasting
power wire brushing
pneumatic needle gun
naval jelly
vinegar and salt
various acid soaks followed by neutralizing basic soak followed by hot water
electrolytic derusting
soaking in strong solution of molasses
soaking in solution of zinc in lye
and, maybe, soaking in moss killer

did I forget any?

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Let's see, our bag of tricks include:

sandblasting
power wire brushing
pneumatic needle gun
naval jelly
vinegar and salt
various acid soaks followed by neutralizing basic soak followed by hot
water
electrolytic derusting
soaking in strong solution of molasses
soaking in solution of zinc in lye
and, maybe, soaking in moss killer

did I forget any?

Moving to Arizona?

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Let's see, our bag of tricks include:

sandblasting
power wire brushing
pneumatic needle gun
naval jelly
vinegar and salt
various acid soaks followed by neutralizing basic soak followed by hot
water
electrolytic derusting
soaking in strong solution of molasses
soaking in solution of zinc in lye
and, maybe, soaking in moss killer

did I forget any?

GWE

You only mentioned power wire brushing once. Go to your room!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Don't know about you, but moss is the only thing keeping the water out
around here...
JR
Dweller in the cellatr

Grant Erwin wrote:

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Become one with the moss...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:15:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:38:33 -0800, (daniel
peterman) wrote:

Become one with the moss...

Aummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

May the Moss be with you.

Wasn't Mosses the guy who presented the 15, oops, 10 Commandments a
long, long time ago in a place far, far away?

Gimme a Kate Moss any day.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

peterman) wrote:

Become one with the moss...

Aummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

May the Moss be with you.

Wasn't Mosses the guy who presented the 15, oops, 10 Commandments a
long, long time ago in a place far, far away?

Gimme a Kate Moss any day.

Lastest horror flick from the NW..

Children of the Moss

Gunner

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
================================================= =====

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

peterman) wrote:

Become one with the moss...

Aummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

May the Moss be with you.

Wasn't Mosses the guy who presented the 15, oops, 10 Commandments a
long, long time ago in a place far, far away?

Gimme a Kate Moss any day.

Lastest horror flick from the NW..

Children of the Moss

Remember the Robeto Duran Sugar Ray Leonard fights back in the early '80s?

NO MOSS .. NO MAS .. NO MOSS !!!

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Sun, 11 Dec
2005 22:45:09 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

peterman) wrote:

Become one with the moss...

Aummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

May the Moss be with you.

Wasn't Mosses the guy who presented the 15, oops, 10 Commandments a
long, long time ago in a place far, far away?

Gimme a Kate Moss any day.

Lastest horror flick from the NW..

Children of the Moss

Moss Isley; never will you find a more wretched hive of scum ...

Hmmm, so could this be the real secret behind the success of the
Mossberg shotguns?

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Product called Evaporust.
Works like Electrolytic with no electricity, no mess.
Retail about $15 - $18/gallon if you can find it.
Reusable until you can't stand it.
Doesn't harm paint or plating, except really old, cheap paint.
Septic safe when done.

If you have something valuable or precision that is rusted, this is THE
best solution (no pun intended. really)
I have some machine jack spacers (I think that's what they are) that
will get dunked next time I'm at the shop.

No finacial interest, just a satisfied user who gave away my last sample
15 minutes ago and is trying to get my employer to stock it.

Rex B

Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
Is it just me? (rust tips) Greg Millen Woodworking 6 August 28th 04 04:41 AM
Table Saw Rust BeeFarmer Woodworking 39 February 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Question about rust Mike in Mystic Woodworking 46 January 27th 04 04:03 AM
Unisaw restoration project: good idea or money pit? Heath Roberts Woodworking 21 December 3rd 03 11:57 PM