Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Default 14.5" Southbend Crossfeed Nut

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ? I have done
threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been awhile. I have a
nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

PLease help...

Thanks
Mike Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ?

I'm talkin' out of school, because I've never seen the crossfeed parts for a
SB lathe. But... It should be something on the order of a simple post with
an Acme threaded hole. Doesn't _seem_ like that bad a job. Threading the
hole with a clean Acme profile will probably be the hardest part. Ones I've
done bugged me with a lot of chatter. I'd have been happier with an Acme
tap (I think).

Is it a simple nut captured in a holder or is it a post arrangement, like
the cross-nut on my Reed?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
George Willer

Mike,

I bought the nut from SB and made the screw to fit it. I got by for less
than $100. If I were to do it again I'd make a tap at the same time and at
the same settings as the lead screw and make the nut myself... just because.
I made my screw on my 10" Logan after making a follower rest for it. I
think it would be nearly impossible without a follower.

George Willer

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ? I have done
threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been awhile. I have a
nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

PLease help...

Thanks
Mike Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Mike wrote:

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I
contacted Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut.
THe screw is bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know
of another source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one
? I have done threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been
awhile. I have a nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

I made an Acme screw and nut for an Atlas lathe some years ago. I started
with hardened rod, which made the job a lot harder. I made the nut out
of brass. It worked very well. One thing, the typical crossfeed screw is
LEFT hand thread! Guess how I know THAT! I made a standard right-
hand screw, and it wasn't until I put it on the lathe that I discovered the
slide moved the WRONG WAY! OOPS!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
.com...

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ?

I'm talkin' out of school, because I've never seen the crossfeed parts for a
SB lathe. But... It should be something on the order of a simple post with
an Acme threaded hole. Doesn't _seem_ like that bad a job. Threading the
hole with a clean Acme profile will probably be the hardest part. Ones I've
done bugged me with a lot of chatter. I'd have been happier with an Acme
tap (I think).

Is it a simple nut captured in a holder or is it a post arrangement, like
the cross-nut on my Reed?

LLoyd

Not meaning to butt in here but the crossfeed nut on my old no-name
brand taiwan lathe is toast also. Mine is a brass block, acme style
thread, with the block split into 2 pieces at an angle so you can
theoretically (only theory) take up play.

I hate to go back to a failed system (of course it took 30 years to fail
so I guess I shouldn't complain) so what would you folks recommend going
with if I made a new set-up from scratch? I have to replace the cross
feed screw anyway due to wear so I'm just seeking the best option people
have seen....the "wish mine was done that way" solution.

Koz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Never tried this my self, but may be worthwhile.

One of the old-technology books from Lindsay books on babbit
bearings mentions casting a halfnut from babbit using the
leadscrew as a pattern. Apparently this worked very well and the
old time writers felt a babbit nut worked better than a brass one
-- less wear -- easy renewal, etc.

see: http://www.lindsaybks.com/prod/sub/machine.html
I have all three of the babbit books, but don't remember which
one this was in. These are cheap enough to get all three.
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks4/babbitt/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/babb/index.html

I don't know what sort of accuracy you are looking for, but you
might investigate replacing the leadscrew with a piece of "acme"
allthread if its worn.

You also might consider using some of the way surfacing/rebuild
compounds such as moglice
to build up the half nut using the leadscrew as a mold. [be sure
to apply release compound ....]
the diamet company [apparently parent of moglice] makes specific
reference to halfnuts/leads screws
see http://diamant.ph/en/referenzen/details/?refid=all
see http://www.jmtsales.com/moglice.htm
and http://moglice.de/en/home/

I have no idea about the cost/availibility of the small
quantities you will require.

also see http://www.lsitvc.com/
http://feedscrews.com/supplier/329

Uncle George

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:47:42 -0500, "George Willer"
wrote:

Mike,

I bought the nut from SB and made the screw to fit it. I got by for less
than $100. If I were to do it again I'd make a tap at the same time and at
the same settings as the lead screw and make the nut myself... just because.
I made my screw on my 10" Logan after making a follower rest for it. I
think it would be nearly impossible without a follower.

George Willer

"Mike" wrote in message
.com...
Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ? I have done
threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been awhile. I have a
nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

PLease help...

Thanks
Mike Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

These folks have lots of parts:
http://www.partsworksinc.net/

I also have a 14.5" SB. I am looking for one of the twin gears. It has
28 teeth, is 14 pitch. Parts Works doesn't have it. If you come across
any possible sources, please let me know.

Steve

Mike wrote:

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I
contacted Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut.
THe screw is bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know
of another source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one
? I have done threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been
awhile. I have a nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

PLease help...

Thanks
Mike Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
George Willer

Lloyd,

It's a post, probably like your Reed. It wouldn't be too difficult to carve
out after first creating an accurately tapped hole and then working outward.
A simple tap made at the same time as the screw could be used to nicely
finish the hole after roughing the thread with a single point tool.

That is how this non-professional would approach the problem... and save a
lot of money while making a top quality nut and screw.

George Willer

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ?

I'm talkin' out of school, because I've never seen the crossfeed parts for
a SB lathe. But... It should be something on the order of a simple post
with an Acme threaded hole. Doesn't _seem_ like that bad a job.
Threading the hole with a clean Acme profile will probably be the hardest
part. Ones I've done bugged me with a lot of chatter. I'd have been
happier with an Acme tap (I think).

Is it a simple nut captured in a holder or is it a post arrangement, like
the cross-nut on my Reed?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Mike says...

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ?

Miller Machine and Fabrication:

http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/products.html#southbend

I've heard good things about them.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:31:12 GMT, Mike wrote:

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ? I have done
threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been awhile. I have a
nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

PLease help...

Thanks
Mike Miller

Lood here to see how I did a similar repair. But instead of one lathe
I had (as I recall) 6 that needed repair. All the lathes are still
working fine four years later.

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...rew_repair.htm

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department