Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default 14.5" Southbend Crossfeed Nut

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I contacted
Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut. THe screw is
bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know of another
source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one ?

I'm talkin' out of school, because I've never seen the crossfeed parts for a
SB lathe. But... It should be something on the order of a simple post with
an Acme threaded hole. Doesn't _seem_ like that bad a job. Threading the
hole with a clean Acme profile will probably be the hardest part. Ones I've
done bugged me with a lot of chatter. I'd have been happier with an Acme
tap (I think).

Is it a simple nut captured in a holder or is it a post arrangement, like
the cross-nut on my Reed?

LLoyd