Default 9"hercus lathe ( southbend copy ) half nuts

hello everyone
the half nuts on my 9"hercus lathe are worn out.
I about to try and repair them. They look like a 3/4 acme thread.
Would that be right?
A hercus is a direct copy of a 9" southbend lathe, did they use an amce
or square
thread on their leadscrew?
Any information would be greatly appriciated
kind Regards
Twistdrill

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
wrote:
hello everyone
the half nuts on my 9"hercus lathe are worn out.
I about to try and repair them. They look like a 3/4 acme thread.
Would that be right?
A hercus is a direct copy of a 9" southbend lathe, did they use an amce
or square
thread on their leadscrew?

While I don't have a South Bend to check, it is almost certainly
an Acme thread, as half nuts will not close easily with square threads,
and square threads are harder to cut.

You might be able to find a supplier with NOS half nuts from a
South Bend, an Hercus, or a Boxford (the UK maker which at one time made
a clone of the South Bend (under license, I believe, during WWI.

Any information would be greatly appriciated

You have what I know, and what I can guess.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dave Young

Twistdrill,

I have an electronic copy of Hercus's "Text Book of Turning" that I
could send you, if you like. It's similar (but different enough to be
very interesting) to South Bend's "How to Run A Lathe". It's a rather
large file (56 pages) in .pdf format, so you'll have to make sure that
your ISP will accept a file that large. If you want the book, send your
e-mail address to davey(at)maine.rr.com and I'll send it right out (I'll
also send a separate e-mail telling you it was sent so that if your ISP
rejects the book that you know that I did make the attempt).

Dave Young

thanks guys for the help,
I had a real close look at the leadscrew and yes its an acme.
I set about cutting bronze replacements using believe it or not the
worn out
half nuts. The lathe was not running, I made a handle to screw into the
drive
pulley and left the half nuts engaged and commenced screwcutting by
hand.

Went a bit deeper and wider on the thread than I thought and when I
finished it I fitted it to leadscrew, not to bad, still tight, I'll put
a bit of lapping paste on it and lap it in on the far right hand side
of leadscrew. this area won't be used.

I also priced a new set of half nuts from hercus and they are $A168.00
plus delivery. So Ii thought I would give it a go to make my own.

I'll keep you informed on how I progress
kind regards
Twistdrill

FS 9" Southbend lathe Wayne Metalworking 2 June 21st 04 11:17 PM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
Harbor Freight Lathe rdspivey Woodturning 23 December 23rd 03 08:07 AM
Book for Turret Lathe Gunner Metalworking 0 August 2nd 03 08:56 AM
Dead Man's Tools Tom Watson Woodworking 35 July 20th 03 03:59 PM