Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default 14.5" Southbend Crossfeed Nut

Mike wrote:

Help...I need one of these. The one in my lathe is wasted. I
contacted Southbend and they want like $995 for a new screw and nut.
THe screw is bent but straightenable if I can get a nut. Anybody know
of another source ? Or help point me in the direction of making one
? I have done threading on a lthe a couple of times..but it has been
awhile. I have a nice 10" sheldon to use to make the nut on.

I made an Acme screw and nut for an Atlas lathe some years ago. I started
with hardened rod, which made the job a lot harder. I made the nut out
of brass. It worked very well. One thing, the typical crossfeed screw is
LEFT hand thread! Guess how I know THAT! I made a standard right-
hand screw, and it wasn't until I put it on the lathe that I discovered the
slide moved the WRONG WAY! OOPS!

Jon