Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
monkers

Default ???`s about electric motor (trying to power a band saw) may be long

Im just finishing (or so I thought) my vertical bandsaw wood to metal
conversion. I have an old Mont. Wards 14" bandsaw that I made an
adjustable motor mount and mounted a 60:1 gear reducer with a GE 1/2 HP
electric motor. Well I filled the gearbox with oil tonight eager to see
it run and try it out. Well, when I turned on the motor, it labored for
about 10 seconds and shut off. I did this a couple times , couldnt get
it to run. I took the belt off, still no good, then I slid the lovejoy
coupling on the reducer back so just the motor was running and the
motor sped up to full speed and ran nice. After about 1 min the motor
became hot so I shut it off. Now, the motor was given to me and I have
no info on it. My friend connected the wires coming out of the motor
(there are 9 wires coming out) and told me to try it, he didnt have a
diagram and was guessing at it. Well it turned the right way, but other
than that it needs help. I have the info off the tag (I all ready
emailed GE to see if I can get a diagram) and was wondering if any of
you guys may have the same motor on anything. I realize 1/2 hp is
small, but the motor was free, so I had to try. What size should be on
it?
Motor info is as follows: GE 1/2 hp 1725 rpm Code M
A 9.2/4.6 SF 1.0
FR 56 AMB 40c Time Rating 30 Min SER # JVD
Model # 5KC37NN66AX

any help would be great. If I have to get a bigger motor can
I get one that will bolt up without to much problem? I had to build
blocks to go under the reducer to get it to the right height, is this
motor not heavy duty enough for the application? What hp should I get?
What gear oil should I be using? Is the oil to thick? Its Mobil Gear
634, industrial gear oil, AGMA 7EP ISO 460 SAE 140.
Thanks again for the help,
Craig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Those numbers you cited are almost certainly useless. However, many dual-voltage
motors like yours are made very similarly. Remove the cover from the box on the
side of the motor and, perhaps using a flashlight and magnifying lenses, look
very carefully at the wires. See if they have any numbers on them. Often wires
are numbered T1, T2, 1, 2 3, 4 or something like that. Also look inside the
wiring cavity and inside the cover plate for a wiring diagram. Almost always a
good quality motor will have the information you need to wire them up. Once you
know how it should be wired, check that wiring.

You may find a general article helpful:
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

GWE

monkers wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dick

Are you sure you have the gear reducer going in the right direction? Not
trying to multiply the pulley speed by 60 instead of reducing.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at
"monkers" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
monkers

I think its going right, I turn the input shaft of the red. by hand in
the direction my motor is turning and the output shaft turns one rev.
for 60 revs of input shaft. Am I missing something?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

9 wires coming out sounds like a 3 phase motor. In any case, it sounds
like the motor is not coming up to speed for one reason or another,
centrifical switch not kicking out, capacitor blown/not hooked up, etc.

monkers wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:32:40 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

9 wires coming out sounds like a 3 phase motor. In any case, it sounds
like the motor is not coming up to speed for one reason or another,
centrifical switch not kicking out, capacitor blown/not hooked up, etc.

9 wires IS a 3 ph motor. If he is running it on a single phase..it
will never come up to full speed, then get hot. Some small ones will
indeed start and run at about half speed plus or minus.

Gunner

monkers wrote:
[...]

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
monkers

sorry, it is only 8 wires, and it is 1 phase according to the tag. Took
it to the motor shop and was told it is a instantly reversible motor,
not ideal for what I want, and there was some damage inside from when
it got hot. There are some things that look like points and one is
black and completly shot. I got a 3/4 HP motor from the motor guy, more
than I was looking to spend, but total cost on project, including
purchase price of bandsaw is about $200. So, Im not too upset, I guess.
Thank you for all your help,
Craig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 3 Dec 2005 17:28:06 -0800, "monkers" wrote:

sorry, it is only 8 wires, and it is 1 phase according to the tag. Took
it to the motor shop and was told it is a instantly reversible motor,
not ideal for what I want, and there was some damage inside from when
it got hot. There are some things that look like points and one is
black and completly shot. I got a 3/4 HP motor from the motor guy, more
than I was looking to spend, but total cost on project, including
purchase price of bandsaw is about $200. So, Im not too upset, I guess.
Thank you for all your help,
Craig

Start switch contacts were toasted.

Btw..for anyone wanting to build a bandsaw..Leigh at MarMachine took
in some VERY nice right angle drives the other day..C Face, about 60:1
IRRC..

Should make converting a standard wood saw to metal a breeze. I think
he is wanting something like $50-60 each for them. New in the boxes

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
monkers

Gunner,
do you have a web address for the reducer guy? That is a
great price, mine is 60:1, but it appears to be very old, well made
mind you, but old.
Craig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 4 Dec 2005 17:50:55 -0800, "monkers" wrote:

Gunner,
do you have a web address for the reducer guy? That is a
great price, mine is 60:1, but it appears to be very old, well made
mind you, but old.
Craig

or....949 645 7601

ask for Leigh.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 288 June 29th 05 11:10 AM
Power supply for electric oven pt. 2 Mogweed UK diy 2 June 24th 05 12:26 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
electric power shower Franglais UK diy 10 May 10th 04 12:37 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM