Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
monkers

Default ???`s about electric motor (trying to power a band saw) may be long

Im just finishing (or so I thought) my vertical bandsaw wood to metal
conversion. I have an old Mont. Wards 14" bandsaw that I made an
adjustable motor mount and mounted a 60:1 gear reducer with a GE 1/2 HP
electric motor. Well I filled the gearbox with oil tonight eager to see
it run and try it out. Well, when I turned on the motor, it labored for
about 10 seconds and shut off. I did this a couple times , couldnt get
it to run. I took the belt off, still no good, then I slid the lovejoy
coupling on the reducer back so just the motor was running and the
motor sped up to full speed and ran nice. After about 1 min the motor
became hot so I shut it off. Now, the motor was given to me and I have
no info on it. My friend connected the wires coming out of the motor
(there are 9 wires coming out) and told me to try it, he didnt have a
diagram and was guessing at it. Well it turned the right way, but other
than that it needs help. I have the info off the tag (I all ready
emailed GE to see if I can get a diagram) and was wondering if any of
you guys may have the same motor on anything. I realize 1/2 hp is
small, but the motor was free, so I had to try. What size should be on
it?
Motor info is as follows: GE 1/2 hp 1725 rpm Code M
A 9.2/4.6 SF 1.0
FR 56 AMB 40c Time Rating 30 Min SER # JVD
Model # 5KC37NN66AX

any help would be great. If I have to get a bigger motor can
I get one that will bolt up without to much problem? I had to build
blocks to go under the reducer to get it to the right height, is this
motor not heavy duty enough for the application? What hp should I get?
What gear oil should I be using? Is the oil to thick? Its Mobil Gear
634, industrial gear oil, AGMA 7EP ISO 460 SAE 140.
Thanks again for the help,
Craig

Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 288 June 29th 05 11:10 AM
Power supply for electric oven pt. 2 Mogweed UK diy 2 June 24th 05 12:26 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
electric power shower Franglais UK diy 10 May 10th 04 12:37 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM