Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default ???`s about electric motor (trying to power a band saw) may belong

Those numbers you cited are almost certainly useless. However, many dual-voltage
motors like yours are made very similarly. Remove the cover from the box on the
side of the motor and, perhaps using a flashlight and magnifying lenses, look
very carefully at the wires. See if they have any numbers on them. Often wires
are numbered T1, T2, 1, 2 3, 4 or something like that. Also look inside the
wiring cavity and inside the cover plate for a wiring diagram. Almost always a
good quality motor will have the information you need to wire them up. Once you
know how it should be wired, check that wiring.

You may find a general article helpful:
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

GWE

monkers wrote:

Im just finishing (or so I thought) my vertical bandsaw wood to metal
conversion. I have an old Mont. Wards 14" bandsaw that I made an
adjustable motor mount and mounted a 60:1 gear reducer with a GE 1/2 HP
electric motor. Well I filled the gearbox with oil tonight eager to see
it run and try it out. Well, when I turned on the motor, it labored for
about 10 seconds and shut off. I did this a couple times , couldnt get
it to run. I took the belt off, still no good, then I slid the lovejoy
coupling on the reducer back so just the motor was running and the
motor sped up to full speed and ran nice. After about 1 min the motor
became hot so I shut it off. Now, the motor was given to me and I have
no info on it. My friend connected the wires coming out of the motor
(there are 9 wires coming out) and told me to try it, he didnt have a
diagram and was guessing at it. Well it turned the right way, but other
than that it needs help. I have the info off the tag (I all ready
emailed GE to see if I can get a diagram) and was wondering if any of
you guys may have the same motor on anything. I realize 1/2 hp is
small, but the motor was free, so I had to try. What size should be on
it?
Motor info is as follows: GE 1/2 hp 1725 rpm Code M
A 9.2/4.6 SF 1.0
FR 56 AMB 40c Time Rating 30 Min SER # JVD
Model # 5KC37NN66AX

any help would be great. If I have to get a bigger motor can
I get one that will bolt up without to much problem? I had to build
blocks to go under the reducer to get it to the right height, is this
motor not heavy duty enough for the application? What hp should I get?
What gear oil should I be using? Is the oil to thick? Its Mobil Gear
634, industrial gear oil, AGMA 7EP ISO 460 SAE 140.
Thanks again for the help,
Craig